AR-4x tweeter replacements ?

I have a pair of AR-4x which I am restoring. One woofer foam is rotted, the other is fabric and OK. The foam-edged woofer is ribbed, the other not, but both appear to be original. It seems different drivers were used over the years, I don't have a matched pair. Refoaming I can cope with (I'll do them both.....), but both tweeters are unfortunately open voice coil. I found some info on the 4x tweeter - apparently designed by Winslow Burhoe who later followed Kloss to KLH. Anyway............

Can anyone recommend a suitable current (and inexpensive) replacement for this venerable tweeter ? Stock of the original seems to have run out. From what I can gather, the original xover is 1.2kHz, but if the woofers can handle it, I'll happily go higher, say 2 or 2.5 kHz. I'd like to stay first order. I've been thinking of the Audax 1" soft dome for instance.

Thanks,

Phil.

Guest dogmeninreno

Well, I have a set of the ribbed and non ribbed. I think I would try the auction and find a new set. I have bought them at $40.00 a pair. Then use the best cabinets. I have 6 sets of ar4x's. All have good drivers and grill cloth. Make me an offer on a pair. I might consider yours in trade. Dale in Reno.....

Archived