Advent Automotive Loudspeaker

teknofossil

Does anyone here remember the powered Advent auto sound system? It was based upon a 6 X 9 inch oval driver and had a whizzer cone. The amplifier was built into a module that came attached to the basket of the speaker. The amplifier also included active equalization to match it to the acoustics of the car interior. As I recall the system was intended for rear deck installation. During developement Advent engineers determined what sort of EQ was desirable for flatest response in a auto interior and included this in the amplifier circuitry. This was introduced around 1977-1978. I only heard the system a few times and these were in the auto sound section of a long gone place called "Sound Company" which was close to where I used to live. I remember being impressed how "right" they sounded. Better than the offerings by other makers like Jensen, AFS and such. Sound Company also had the Bose sound system that, like the Advent was EQ'd for the auto environment. That system also was very good.

-T

• 3 weeks later...
Guest olddude55
Does anyone here remember the powered Advent auto sound system? It was based upon a 6 X 9 inch oval driver and had a whizzer cone. The amplifier was built into a module that came attached to the basket of the speaker. The amplifier also included active equalization to match it to the acoustics of the car interior. As I recall the system was intended for rear deck installation. During developement Advent engineers determined what sort of EQ was desirable for flatest response in a auto interior and included this in the amplifier circuitry. This was introduced around 1977-1978. I only heard the system a few times and these were in the auto sound section of a long gone place called "Sound Company" which was close to where I used to live. I remember being impressed how "right" they sounded. Better than the offerings by other makers like Jensen, AFS and such. Sound Company also had the Bose sound system that, like the Advent was EQ'd for the auto environment. That system also was very good.

-T

Yes, I sure do. I had a pair of those in the parcel shelf of a 1978 Chevy Malibu, connected to a fine Concord cassette receiver.

They sounded terrific, like having a set of Advent home speakers in your car.

The big trunk on the Malibu made for some great bass, too.

Archived