Help with A-25 rebuild

Guest K-MAN

Guest K-MAN

Hi, glad I found this site as it has the best info on Dynaco speakers I've found so far. I recently bought a pair of A-25's that had some water damage to the cabinets but the drivers are in great shape. I'm currently refinishing the cabinets but ran into a few problems. I had to throw out the stuffing inside because it was moldy from the water damage and seemed to be causing corrosion on the back of the speakers. Will replacing it with sheets of pink fiberglass that's used for insulation work alright? I've also been frustrated trying to work on the crossover since it's awkward working inside the cabinet. I plan on recapping it and replacing the wiring so I'm trying to remove the crossover from the cabinet, are there any tips you guys have on removing it without breaking the board it's mounted on? Thanks for any help you might have.

DSC01233.jpg

Kiel

Hi, glad I found this site as it has the best info on Dynaco speakers I've found so far. I recently bought a pair of A-25's that had some water damage to the cabinets but the drivers are in great shape. I'm currently refinishing the cabinets but ran into a few problems. I had to throw out the stuffing inside because it was moldy from the water damage and seemed to be causing corrosion on the back of the speakers. Will replacing it with sheets of pink fiberglass that's used for insulation work alright? I've also been frustrated trying to work on the crossover since it's awkward working inside the cabinet. I plan on recapping it and replacing the wiring so I'm trying to remove the crossover from the cabinet, are there any tips you guys have on removing it without breaking the board it's mounted on? Thanks for any help you might have.

Kiel

Hi there;

I would normally have jumped in with some advice had you asked for help before you removed the grille cloth.

Dynaco was one of the few speaker companies to use a denser slab type fiberglass insulation, rather than chunks or a blanket.

I have no weight to even guess at for regular fiberglass batts.

Did you keep the old insulation to weigh it, dry?

You can update the cap to a Solen or equal, but the wire is satisfactory.

With that amount of moisture I would check out the woofers performance.

I would be concerned about rust flakes in the voice coil gap.

If you have DeOxit, or equal, touch up the switch contacts.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest K-MAN

Ok my parts finally arrived but the mounting board the crossover was on broke from the epoxy it was glued on with. What would be a good replacement? A piece of thin wood or a plate of plastic or metal? Also part of the leads broke on my woofer but there is still a piece where the voice coil leads connect, is it ok to solder to this?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest K-MAN

Man things are really dead around here ;) I finally got most stuff done, I had to carefully solder the wires to my woofer terminals, but it was really hard to keep from wrecking the tinsel leads. I put a small clip on the tinsels and that helped allot, if they ever broke I don't know how I would fix them as they don't seem to take solder. I just have to restuff the cabinets now, would fiberglass insulation work ok or do they still make stuff like the original?

Archived