My AR-7 has a problem

Guest dannyblue

Guest dannyblue

Hello, I am a vintage AR collector, and acquired AR-5, 6 and 7 from the gentleman who is one of our members, a few years ago.

AR-6 and AR-7 are almost mint condition and I am really proud of owning these beautiful speakers sonically and cosmetically.

He informed me AR-6s were originally given to him from Roy Allison, and AR-7s look as new as it just came out of the box.

However, recently I found one of the AR-7 speakers has a problem on its woofer.

When I play some CD recorded with very strong and heavy bass, I hear vibrating noise on the woofer. Well, I checked the other speaker to see if this happens on the speaker, but the other speaker does not have the problem at all, and it sound all right with same CD.

Some guy informed me that it might be voice coil problem...

My question is ;

1. If this is the problem with voice coil, can I get it fixed? or need to replace the woofer itself?

2. I like to keep every part of my AR original. If voice coil has to be repaired, do they need tp replace dust cap also?

- I got my AR-3a woofer refoamed by some shop a few years ago, but found they replace dust cap also, and I asked them why they

replaced dust cap. They said they found there were voice coil problem, and that's why they replaced dust cap.

I feel a little sad because my AR-3a pair look different each other. I really like to keep all of my AR speakers original!

Any advise, tip, and/or recommendation will be greatly appreciated

From your description it appears you have rotted foam in one of your speakers. The other one will most likely fail in the near future as well. Suggest you have BOTH refoamed at the same time by yourself or a professional and specify they dust caps to be identical afterward as you desire.

You can confirm you surround is the problem by removing the grille and looking at the woofer. Don't play that speaker any more. Further playing might damage the voice coil.

Guest dannyblue
From your description it appears you have rotted foam in one of your speakers. The other one will most likely fail in the near future as well. Suggest you have BOTH refoamed at the same time by yourself or a professional and specify they dust caps to be identical afterward as you desire.

You can confirm you surround is the problem by removing the grille and looking at the woofer. Don't play that speaker any more. Further playing might damage the voice coil.

Thank you so much for your quick reply.

By the way, I forgot mentioning that I alreadyhad both woofer refoamed by myself.

If a repair person can do recone service without replacing the dust cap, I will be confident and happy to let him/her do it, as you advised above.

Thank you again.

Archived