Restoring AR3 - Overview Document?

Guest Ron

Hello,

I have a pair of AR3s with pots that spend more time "out" than "in." I am considering restoring these speakers and would like to know if there is a document for AR-3s like the "Restoring the AR-3a" PDF that I have seen on this forum. Alternatively, is the AR3a document applicable to the AR-3?

I am not an expert on these speakers, nor do I have much knowledge about this kind of restoration in general. I just like the sound of the AR-3, their "look" and they way that they fit into my sixties-era house.

Many thanks in advance. Your advice is much appreciated.

Ron Witte

Alternatively, is the AR3a document applicable to the AR-3?

Yes - almost everything in the 3a document would be applicable to all of the classic series of AR speakers (except for specifics about which drivers to use, etc.).

Basic repairs - sealing cabinets, cleaning pots, cabinet restoration and care, and other "generic" things such as you would need to be able to cope with your potentiometer problem apply to all models.

The 3 and 3a are very similar, as you know. The pots are pretty-much the same in all of them.

Welcome - and if you come-up with a specific situation we haven't addressed, I'm sure you will find an experienced voice here willing to help you.

Bret

Bret,

Thanks for your reply. I've removed the grills and and am looking forward to getting things in shape. I have no doubt that I'll be asking for advice as things come up.

I appreciate your willingness to help,

Ron

Yes - almost everything in the 3a document would be applicable to all of the classic series of AR speakers (except for specifics about which drivers to use, etc.).

Basic repairs - sealing cabinets, cleaning pots, cabinet restoration and care, and other "generic" things such as you would need to be able to cope with your potentiometer problem apply to all models.

The 3 and 3a are very similar, as you know. The pots are pretty-much the same in all of them.

Welcome - and if you come-up with a specific situation we haven't addressed, I'm sure you will find an experienced voice here willing to help you.

Bret

Archived