TSW-910 Speakers

welterf

Last year I aquired a pair of AR TSW-910 speakers. I am using a Yamaha HTR-5990 amp to drive them. My question is that when I turn up the volume high the circuit protection in the amp shuts the amp off and I receive a message of check speakers wires. I looked in the Yamaha manual and there are 2 settings for ohms, 8 and 6. I know that these speakers are 4 ohms and would this be the reason my amp is shutting down and is there anything you can do to resolve this issue.

welterf

Good Lord, the Amplifier tells you to "Check speaker wires?"

Trash the dang thing and get an old amp with better breeding that doesn't talk back! :)

It looks to me like you have 3 choices.

1) Don't turn up the volume so high - cheapest alternative

2) Sell the speakers and buy a pair rated at 6 or 8 ohms.

3) Buy an amp rated for 4 ohm speakers

Can I replace the 4 Ohm speakers with 8 Ohm speakers or do I have to change the crossover board as well?

Can I replace the 4 Ohm speakers with 8 Ohm speakers or do I have to change the crossover board as well?

The crossover board must change if you substitue the original 4 ohm speakers with 8 ohm versions.

Don't even go there unless you are familiar with crossover design or know someone who is.

• 1 year later...
Guest Frogslips
Last year I aquired a pair of AR TSW-910 speakers. I am using a Yamaha HTR-5990 amp to drive them. My question is that when I turn up the volume high the circuit protection in the amp shuts the amp off and I receive a message of check speakers wires. I looked in the Yamaha manual and there are 2 settings for ohms, 8 and 6. I know that these speakers are 4 ohms and would this be the reason my amp is shutting down and is there anything you can do to resolve this issue.

welterf

Not enough power to drive them your amp is clipping out, I have a pair , at least 3 amps have been burnt out since having them. I now use a ce1000 crown amp have not had any problems since getting it,

but power is money, the 910's are 450 watts per channel, 900 watts total a 1000 watt amp would be a pretty penny. WARING under driving these speakers burns out you tweeters. at 80.oo dollars a pop get a bigger amp or two that can be bridged.

It looks to me like you have 3 choices.

1) Don't turn up the volume so high - cheapest alternative

2) Sell the speakers and buy a pair rated at 6 or 8 ohms.

3) Buy an amp rated for 4 ohm speakers

4) Get an impedance matching autoformer (http://www.russound.com/tbl75.htm)

120 WPC ought to be enough power for a reasonable output from these speakers, but some newer receivers' circuit protectors aren't based only on thermals, they actually sense the load on the power amp and shut down before potentially damaging thermal conditions occur.

Guest Martin G.

welterf

It sounds like the power supply in your amp is pretty weak - the four Ohm load is causing it to run out of steam. Even when you listen at lower levels the sound is suffering.

Second possibility, do you by chance have two sets of speakers hooked up. 2 sets will be run in parrallel and will cut their impedance in half causing distress to the amp.

Personally, if I liked the speakers, I'd get a different amp. Your problem isn't watts, it's current... A 25 wpc amp that doubles its output into 4 Ohms is better than 120 that sags into 4 Ohms. IMO

Marty

It sounds like the power supply in your amp is pretty weak - the four Ohm load is causing it to run out of steam. Even when you listen at lower levels the sound is suffering.

Second possibility, do you by chance have two sets of speakers hooked up. 2 sets will be run in parrallel and will cut their impedance in half causing distress to the amp.

Personally, if I liked the speakers, I'd get a different amp. Your problem isn't watts, it's current... A 25 wpc amp that doubles its output into 4 Ohms is better than 120 that sags into 4 Ohms. IMO

Marty

I agree completely. You need a high current amp. More "watts" don't really solve the problem.

BUT... That Yamaha is a really nice, feature-laden home theater receiver. And if you are using the ARs with your home theater, you're in a bind.

Does the Yamaha have a provision to add an external amp to drive the front speakers? If so, that would be ideal. Add a nice high current amp and continue to use the Yamaha. Roy has spoken well of AudioSource power amps. They are high current (but be careful which model you select--some have QC problems). If you want to go with vintage, I know my old Hafler 220 could handle anything I threw at it (no longer have it though). This diagram from the Yamaha site indicates you could do that:

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/customer/hookupd...ml?CTID=5010070

This is complicated. If the Yamaha does not allow use of an external power amp the simplest solution "may" be the impedance-matching transformer mentioned by Gene.

BUT... According to Yamaha, your receiver IS high current:

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/product...ml?CNTID=200015

No simple solution here ;)

btw--I assume you are using the 6 ohm setting (closer to 4).

And it may be that there is a problem with the receiver. Have you contacted Yamaha?

Good luck

Kent

• 3 weeks later...

I have the TSW speakers and I have the AR-90, but I think the TSW-910 are the best speakers AR ever made--just my personal opinion. I use to drive mine with a Harman Kardon HK-85, and never had a problem. Now I use an old AR P-10 amp on the front and I use the HK-85 for the rear (AR-90) speakers. I play them at high volume and have not had any problems yet. I have never had any clipping on music or movies.

Archived