differentiating between models

Guest shoereplacements

Guest shoereplacements

Hi,

I have 2 pairs of AR speakers thanks to the local Salvation Army Store. One is AR-2ax based on the badges, both sets are missing the informative labels on the backs and I am not sure of the model of the second pair.

The second pair has doesn't have the flat wood trim around the front. The wood trim has two levels. The AR-2ax speakers have reddish speaker grills and the unknown model pair has brownish speaker grills. The AR-2ax speakers have the same wood on the backs as the other sides and the unknown pair has "partical" board.

I am thrilled about all of the information on the net regarding AR speakers, but do not know the second pair's model number. And the unkown pair is the one that is working quite well. The AR-2ax's need to be refurbished.

Thanks for everyones patience I am new and any information will be greatly appreciated!!!!

Tom

The second pair has doesn't have the flat wood trim around the front. The wood trim has two levels. The AR-2ax speakers have reddish speaker grills and the unknown model pair has brownish speaker grills. The AR-2ax speakers have the same wood on the backs as the other sides and the unknown pair has "partical" board.

Pictures would help. The "unknown model pair" doesn't sound very AR, but people have been known to change the grills when the old linen wore out.

Hi,

I have 2 pairs of AR speakers thanks to the local Salvation Army Store. One is AR-2ax based on the badges, both sets are missing the informative labels on the backs and I am not sure of the model of the second pair.

I am thrilled about all of the information on the net regarding AR speakers, but do not know the second pair's model number. And the unkown pair is the one that is working quite well. The AR-2ax's need to be refurbished.

Thanks for everyones patience I am new and any information will be greatly appreciated!!!!

Tom

If they (the second pair) are, indeed, AR speakers it sounds like they may be the European version. I have a pair of AR5s with a brownish grill and two level front trim. The 2ax was also available with this configuration. Does the grill come off? Mine are velcro'd on and easy to remove. That would be the best way of verifying if they are AR speakers, and would also identify the model. Pics?

Guest shoereplacements
If they (the second pair) are, indeed, AR speakers it sounds like they may be the European version. I have a pair of AR5s with a brownish grill and two level front trim. The 2ax was also available with this configuration. Does the grill come off? Mine are velcro'd on and easy to remove. That would be the best way of verifying if they are AR speakers, and would also identify the model. Pics?

The unknown pair has grills held on with velcro and the tweeter, midrange and woofer look exactly like the ones on the AR-2ax's

Thanks for your comments-I'll take a few pictures and post them tomorrow--Have had a busy few days.

Thanks again,

Tom

Guest shoereplacements
The unknown pair has grills held on with velcro and the tweeter, midrange and woofer look exactly like the ones on the AR-2ax's

Thanks for your comments-I'll take a few pictures and post them tomorrow--Have had a busy few days.

Thanks again,

Tom

100_4473.jpg100_4475.jpg

The AR-2ax speakers are on the left. These have muddled mid and tweeter sounds, but great cabinets!

The unknown pair sounds great, just can't figure out the model number. Thanks for any help, comments, tips, advice and anything else for that matter

Tom

Tom:

The European AR-3a used the same cabinet design, so I assume this is simply a European AR-2ax. The tweeters indicate both are the "late model" of the 2ax.

Cheers,

I agree..they are the European version. The woofer surrounds look original and (incredibly) intact! Very nice!

Roy

Yep.....that's them. My European version AR-5 has the same grill cloth, although my European AR-3a has the standard linen.

I have both U.S. and European AR-5s, and to my ears, the thicker grill cloth of the European version is not as acoustically transparent as the linen. The highs seem much more subdued with the grill cloth on. If you A/B the two versions, I'd be interested in your impressions. :)

As an aside, the woofers on the European version in your pics show the woofer surrounds to be in excellent condition.....but they seem a bit shiny. Is there any chance the previous owner coated these with some kind of silicone? I know that I did that to prolong the life of the surrounds, until I found out how easy it is to re-foam. Just curious.

Guest shoereplacements

[ the woofers on the European version in your pics show the woofer surrounds to be in excellent condition.....but they seem a bit shiny. Is there any chance the previous owner coated these with some kind of silicone? I know that I did that to prolong the life of the surrounds, until I found out how easy it is to re-foam. Just curious.

That does seem likely, but I do not know because they were purchased from the Salvation Army. The AR-2ax's have nice woofers also, but one is starting to crack-plus i need to find out why the tweeters and mids are so muffled. I printed off the instructions to rebuilding them, so when I get the time(who knows when) I'll get those going as well.

I am very appreciative to all!!!

Thanks,

Tom Harju AKA shoereplacements

The AR-2ax's have nice woofers also, but one is starting to crack-plus i need to find out why the tweeters and mids are so muffled.

Judging from the tweeter style, they are all late models, which used foam surrounds. Several of the folks here can tell you the best source for that 10-in. surround. The tweeter/mid sound problem is almost always due to dirty potentiometers. Good luck with the restoration.

Cheers,

<the woofers on the European version in your pics show the woofer surrounds to be in excellent condition.....but they seem a bit shiny. Is there any chance the previous owner coated these with some kind of silicone? I know that I did that to prolong the life of the surrounds, until I found out how easy it is to re-foam. Just curious>

Is the shiny coating sticky? If it is, it is probably the butyl compound AR coated foam surrounds with. That would be a good thing. If not, I would be concerned about the woofers' performance.

Roy

Archived