M 905 ?

Guest special rider

Guest special rider

Does anyone have experience with the M 905?

I saw a pair that looked nice- I could not audition them with any accuracy because of the environment. They sounded "Good" and appeared to be fully functional.

The cabinets looked well made, not so sure about the grill covers.

They wee being sold at slightly below blue book value at $80.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Any thoughts are welcome.

I got a good deal on a pair of M-905s on Craigslist a few years ago - in relatively good shape except for the surround foam begining to crack. After refoaming them, I found them to have a reasonably good sound, though a lesser bass and sound stage as compared to my Snell E/IIIs or even their smaller siblings, the DQM-3s (they were *SO* good!).

I eventually sold them to a Dahlquist enthusiast who I know is using them happily as rears in his HT setup.

Bottom line: They would do well in a HT setup with a seperate subwoofer, but if you are a stereo purist like me - I would recommend something better.

Mayank

• 4 years later...
  • 2 months later...

I used the M-905's as rears in my HT setup as well and they worked great. They are a decent sounding speaker, although nothing compared to the DQ speakers. I replaced them with some DQ-18's. You can buy an upgrade kit from Regnar for the 905's. I still have mine and some day I may consider rebuilding them. I bought them off CL for $50. A lot of people have no idea what Dahlquists are! Better for you and I! Good luck!

• 4 years later...

My pair has rubber surrounds as well.

For the prices these things go for I think they're a tremendous value.  I run digital room correction software (my finished basement makes EVERYTHING sound too bright) and these are probably my favorite stand-mount box speakers of the ones I've owned in the last few years, but some of the others, like the Spendor Sp1 were run in a smaller room that didn't flatter them.  For $50 bucks (or even $100) these are a screaming deal.  If you're not digitally fixing them, I'd suggest warm sounding tube amps, like the Jolida series, Dynaco, or Scott.

Archived