Amplification for A/III

Claus Es

Hello fellow Snell connoisseurs. I have just bought a pair of A/III's and I'm pondering what type of amplifier to drive them with. Today the options seem so very many, especially since there is now an abundant availability of Chinese amps. And since I am on a lowly budget it's either that or some vintage solid state.

Would valve mono-blocks be the way to go? And then which type? Meixing MingDa offers a large array, but I can't find reviews on many of the models, and I don't know how powerful they should be to drive the A/III.

Another option is a hybrid like DK Design VS-1 MK 2 from the second hand market. More watts, but would pure valve be a better match?

Thank you.

Guest Redbullet_Audio
Hello fellow Snell connoisseurs. I have just bought a pair of A/III's and I'm pondering what type of amplifier to drive them with. Today the options seem so very many, especially since there is now an abundant availability of Chinese amps. And since I am on a lowly budget it's either that or some vintage solid state.

Would valve mono-blocks be the way to go? And then which type? Meixing MingDa offers a large array, but I can't find reviews on many of the models, and I don't know how powerful they should be to drive the A/III.

Another option is a hybrid like DK Design VS-1 MK 2 from the second hand market. More watts, but would pure valve be a better match?

Thank you.

The DK is a great amp also you may look at these, 100 watts of tube power and they sound great !

http://www.angelfire.com/biz/bizzyb/TAD1000.html

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks. I ended up buying the Music Angle XDSE-KT88 valve amplifier. It has achieved quite a cult following in Scandinavia and is very affordable. It beats vastly more expensive amps and is great for tube-rolling and modding. Can't wait to get some NOS tubes in it and hook it up. :)

Guest Redbullet_Audio
Thanks. I ended up buying the Music Angle XDSE-KT88 valve amplifier. It has achieved quite a cult following in Scandinavia and is very affordable. It beats vastly more expensive amps and is great for tube-rolling and modding. Can't wait to get some NOS tubes in it and hook it up. :)

Be careful with those Music Angle XDSE-KT88 amps, They go up in smoke. You just can't throw tubes in it. They must be matched and then you need to take the bottom cover plate off and adjust the bias with a meter. Whatever you do not switch from triode to Ultra-linear without turning the amp off 1st.

Archived