AR 9's given to me

Hello Everyone,

Not to make any one out there jealous or envious but about 3 weeks ago I was speaking to a co-worker and we somehow got on the subject of stereo equipment, and I mentioned how I was really into vintage audio. Ray, ( the co-worker) looked at me and said, " Really, how about some old loudspeakers? They're AR9'S, do you know what those are? " I said, " Oh yeah, I know them. " He then went on to tell me about a friend of his who was moving, and didn't have room for most of his stereo equipment, and gave Ray his vintage AR9's. I answered " Wow. That's great! " Ray looked at me and said, Are you interested in them? " I answered, " Sure am. How much would you want for them? " He looked at me and said, " Just take them. I'm never going to use them. "

Well, I almost fell over. The hardest part of the whole transaction was "convincing " my wife that I was " exchanging " some old speakers with Ray, which I was as I'd I given Ray some homemade ones I'd asssembled, and then getting the monsters up my stairs and into my " Stereo " room. As expected, the foam was rotted on the woofers, but other than that they are mint. I've already completed one re-foam, and GEEZ, now I know what all the fuss is about regarding these sweet babies. I'm hearing stuff in recordings I've never heard before.

Oh yeah, Ray's friend also gave him a Pioneer RT-901 10" open reel deck, but I couldn't finagle that transaction.

I'm new to this site, but it's a great one, keep up the good work!

Regards,

Tony

Guest OpusX

Tony,

Some of us may be envious, but most of us are happy for your good fortune. And we know that another pair of AR-9s has found a good home and will be taken care of and appreciated.

Guest Nigel

Tony;

I second Peter's note.

I'd like to suggest that you replace the capacitors and internal wiring as you re-foam the woofers. See the article on this site about re-doing AR94 speakers.

Nigel

Archived