Wiring and switch setting for Advents

bentleyss

Hi to all members. New member here and I have a question. It's been a long time but I finally repaired and recovered my Large Advents which I purchased in 1975 from Tweeters in Peabody, Mass. Anyway I also have a set of Small Advents which I recovered also and am setting up my system. I have a Pioneer SX-3700 receiver and a Pioneer CT-F7272 deck. I have the speakers all wired in with the switch setting on 8 Ohm on the back of the speakers. What is the purpose of the 4 Ohm setting and should I have the switch set to that side. As I said, It's been a long time that this stuff has been packed away. Any help appreciated.

Hi to all members. New member here and I have a question. It's been a long time but I finally repaired and recovered my Large Advents which I purchased in 1975 from Tweeters in Peabody, Mass. Anyway I also have a set of Small Advents which I recovered also and am setting up my system. I have a Pioneer SX-3700 receiver and a Pioneer CT-F7272 deck. I have the speakers all wired in with the switch setting on 8 Ohm on the back of the speakers. What is the purpose of the 4 Ohm setting and should I have the switch set to that side. As I said, It's been a long time that this stuff has been packed away. Any help appreciated.

Hi there;

The Larger Advents are 8 ohm speakers.

The Smaller Advents are 4 ohm speakers.

Here is a Larger Advent switch plate photo for a visual example.

The switch is only used to brighten or dull the tweeter.

These two different speaker systems should not be used in a parallel speaker arrangement, the impedance will go too low for most inexpensive electronic amplifiers.

Your only real concern is that the speakers be wired in phase.

Most , if not all lampcord, have a rib in one side to keep polarity the same.

See the Advent library regarding the speaker service sheets and fusing information.

post-101040-1201064767.jpg

Hi there;

The Larger Advents are 8 ohm speakers.

The Smaller Advents are 4 ohm speakers.

Here is a Larger Advent switch plate photo for a visual example.

The switch is only used to brighten or dull the tweeter.

These two different speaker systems should not be used in a parallel speaker arrangement, the impedance will go too low for most inexpensive electronic amplifiers.

Your only real concern is that the speakers be wired in phase.

Most , if not all lampcord, have a rib in one side to keep polarity the same.

See the Advent library regarding the speaker service sheets and fusing information.

Thanks for the quick reply to my question. I have them wired in parallel now, i.e. + to + and - to -. As you state to wire in phase then it would be the same as series wiring ? Not and electrical genius here but I did a google search for wiring diagrams. Thanks.

Thanks for the quick reply to my question. I have them wired in parallel now, i.e. + to + and - to -. As you state to wire in phase then it would be the same as series wiring ? Not and electrical genius here but I did a google search for wiring diagrams. Thanks.

Hi again;

Wiring + to + and - to - is the correct wiring method for a stereo pair from the amp to the speakers.

You can wire - to + but you will need to do both sides exactly the same.

The first sentence is the best practice.

If you have two pairs of wires going from each amplifier channel, to two separate speakers, right or left channel, you now have a pair of speakers in parallel.

Another way is, running a single pair of wires from the amp to the left or right speaker and running a short pair of wires from those same terminals, to another speaker adjacent to it.

By doing any of the above, you have changed the impedance that the amp sees to 1/2, which some equipment cannot handle too well.

Hi again;

Wiring + to + and - to - is the correct wiring method for a stereo pair from the amp to the speakers.

You can wire - to + but you will need to do both sides exactly the same.

The first sentence is the best practice.

If you have two pairs of wires going from each amplifier channel, to two separate speakers, right or left channel, you now have a pair of speakers in parallel.

Another way is, running a single pair of wires from the amp to the left or right speaker and running a short pair of wires from those same terminals, to another speaker adjacent to it.

By doing any of the above, you have changed the impedance that the amp sees to 1/2, which some equipment cannot handle too well.

Thanks for the help. I'll leave them wired + TO + and _ TO _ . As stated my receiver is an Old Pioneer SX-3700 Quartz so I'll have to check the specifications on it. Will it harm the receiver if I run the 4 ohm and 8 ohm speakers together as I am now. I usually don't drive them very hard, and I 'm looking to pick up another pair of Advents (Laureates) this week. I have some Advent Heritage that my daughter is holding for me until I pick them up. I appreciate the help as I'm a real newbie at this and just do not want to destroy any equipment. Thanks again.

Thanks for the help. I'll leave them wired + TO + and _ TO _ . As stated my receiver is an Old Pioneer SX-3700 Quartz so I'll have to check the specifications on it. Will it harm the receiver if I run the 4 ohm and 8 ohm speakers together as I am now. I usually don't drive them very hard, and I 'm looking to pick up another pair of Advents (Laureates) this week. I have some Advent Heritage that my daughter is holding for me until I pick them up. I appreciate the help as I'm a real newbie at this and just do not want to destroy any equipment. Thanks again.

Hi again;

I would suggest disconnecting the 4 ohm pair, if you have them wired in parallel.

Even paralleling a pair of Advent's, at 8 ohms each, the amp is looking at least 4 ohms and there may be a point where it will dip even much lower.

Dynaco was the only company that generally advertised relatively stable impedances for their classic speakers.

Even with a pair of Dynaco's at 8 ohms each, they would slightly dip below 4 ohms, but less than most.

It is best to stay above 4 ohms where practical for most of the older amps, the majority of them were rated at 8 ohms for maximum output.

The fact that you weren't pushing the amp too hard, is a plus.

Hi again;

I would suggest disconnecting the 4 ohm pair, if you have them wired in parallel.

Even paralleling a pair of Advent's, at 8 ohms each, the amp is looking at least 4 ohms and there may be a point where it will dip even much lower.

Dynaco was the only company that generally advertised relatively stable impedances for their classic speakers.

Even with a pair of Dynaco's at 8 ohms each, they would slightly dip below 4 ohms, but less than most.

It is best to stay above 4 ohms where practical for most of the older amps, the majority of them were rated at 8 ohms for maximum output.

The fact that you weren't pushing the amp too hard, is a plus.

Archived