Recovering Large Advent Cabinets with Vinyl

Guest MarkG

I've got some stained / scratched / peeling large Advents that I want to recover with Dayton Vinyl Laminate.

Is it better to?

1. Fill in any gaps and corners with wood filler, sand smooth and recover over the old vinyl.

or

2. Peel off the old vinyl, fill, sand and recover over the smoothed out particleboard.

With 1., I'm concerned that the edges and gaps won't look so good,and will have bubbles.

With 2. I'm concerned that the old vinyl will come off in chunks, removing pieces of particleboard with it.

Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks,

Mark

I've got some stained / scratched / peeling large Advents that I want to recover with Dayton Vinyl Laminate.

Is it better to?

1. Fill in any gaps and corners with wood filler, sand smooth and recover over the old vinyl.

or

2. Peel off the old vinyl, fill, sand and recover over the smoothed out particleboard.

With 1., I'm concerned that the edges and gaps won't look so good,and will have bubbles.

With 2. I'm concerned that the old vinyl will come off in chunks, removing pieces of particleboard with it.

Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark;

This very issue was covered about a year ago or there abouts.

I would take the option #2 and fill-in any sinkholes as well.

If you do not remove the older entire covering, an edge will show through the newer covering.

Another more costly option is to use a real wood veneer cover.

Hi Mark;

This very issue was covered about a year ago or there abouts.

I would take the option #2 and fill-in any sinkholes as well.

If you do not remove the older entire covering, an edge will show through the newer covering.

Another more costly option is to use a real wood veneer cover.

My little rehab project is on a set of Advent Large utility that the vinyl began peeling.

The wood was a little rough on the edges and corners. So the plan is to use automotive body

filler, "Bondo" before applying the bleached maple paper backed veneer. The bondo will be easy to work and is inert when it dries. I'll then square up all the edges filing and sanding the filler even.

The concept is to take some rough utility cabinets and turn them into furniture.

I wanted something different for an Advent hence the light wood color. The grilles are to be redone with a medium blue linen. The pictures of thegrilles aren't the finished product but only to show the color post-102900-1200149061.jpgpost-102900-1200149061.jpg

My little rehab project is on a set of Advent Large utility that the vinyl began peeling.

The wood was a little rough on the edges and corners. So the plan is to use automotive body

filler, "Bondo" before applying the bleached maple paper backed veneer. The bondo will be easy to work and is inert when it dries. I'll then square up all the edges filing and sanding the filler even.

The concept is to take some rough utility cabinets and turn them into furniture.

I wanted something different for an Advent hence the light wood color. The grilles are to be redone with a medium blue linen. The pictures of thegrilles aren't the finished product but only to show the color post-102900-1200149061.jpgpost-102900-1200149061.jpg

Hi there;

Is your grille cloth neutral in the sense of sound resistance?

Maybe read Carl's grille cloth study in the AR forum of 2007.

Hi there;

Is your grille cloth neutral in the sense of sound resistance?

Maybe read Carl's grille cloth study in the AR forum of 2007.

The material I used is very similar to the original. The thread count is 14 TPI and the original is 18.

It is a natural fibre, burlap, similar to linen in texture. Stk.# 5977558 at Jo-Ann Fabrics.

It does not change the sound quality. I cannot detect any difference between it and the original.

In fact, I do not detect any difference in sound with the grilles on or off.

Archived