KLH/EPI owner new to this forum

Guest KVR

Hello KLH forum members.

I was recently referred to this website from some Audio Asylum folks. I have seen some various posts already that will help me if I have issues or questions regarding my speakers. I currently own some old near mint KLH Model 6's (the version with veneered plywood cabinets, non-removable grills, screw-in logos), and also some old EPI 100's which are in a closet awaiting new foam edging which I will attempt at some point. I will use the EPI brand forum for questions on those though.

Anyway, I originally saw my first pair of KLH Model Sixes at my friends house when a teenager in the late 70's. They were his dad's, and powered by an older Fisher receiver. I remember really liking the smooth sound that seemed neither too bright, dull, or falsely 'dynamic' sounding. That KLH 6 listening session stuck in my mind over the years. When getting interested in vintage hi-fi again in the late 90's, I found a pair in almost mint shape that didn't sell at ebay auction, and picked them up at good discount anyway - way under $100 since I picked them up personally. These speakers have actually been my main living room speakers for eight years now, sitting up on slightly angled 10" stands. I bought a cheap Velodyne 8" subwoofer a couple years ago (impulse buy at Costco), but have not seen a need to use yet due to more than decent bass response from these classic KLH speakers. They have been powered by my old reliable Mac 6100 integrated amp putting out only about 70wpc, which seems to drive them well with any style of music I put through to them. But not the most overly efficient speakers probably. I have not yet tired of their consistent sound, but may try comparing a few other vintage speakers against them over time just to see what I am or am not missing in the sound spectrum for my tastes. Regardless, I think I will still keep these great speakers indefinitely. I also really like their simple classic design and very robust US mfg build quality, which you sadly won't find in general consumer electronics anymore.

Curious how others here got interested in their particular model(s) of KLH speaker? I'll end there, and thanks for all the feedback I will likely make use of going forward. I may have a few questions on these speakers down the road. Thanks!

Ken

Hello KLH forum members.

I was recently referred to this website from some Audio Asylum folks. I have seen some various posts already that will help me if I have issues or questions regarding my speakers. I currently own some old near mint KLH Model 6's (the version with veneered plywood cabinets, non-removable grills, screw-in logos), and also some old EPI 100's which are in a closet awaiting new foam edging which I will attempt at some point. I will use the EPI brand forum for questions on those though.

Ken

Hi Ken;

Welcome to the CSP;

You can post questions regarding EPI speakers here as well, in the EPI forum.

Much here has been written about the various KLH Sixes.

From my readings here, only, I would say, they were and are, a very special 2 way speaker system, of moderate efficiency.

Other's can write their own personnal experiences with them, I cannot.

Archived