Here is some DIY at home today with my Advents

Guest bamacoo

Guest bamacoo

Hi guys, as I mentioned I picked up the Large Advents for $90 and the grilles were very bad so I went off to FabricLand here in Toronto and bought some very light black and tan coloured cloth total cost $3.42 and recovered my speaker grilles and neatly replaced the emblem as well. Not too bad for a newbie. I never made stands before. They are 18" tall from base to top. I bought 2 8' pieces of 1 1/2"x1 1/2" and cut them into 10 pieces and also bought a piece of pine 16" x 48" and made the base 16"x16" and the top 14"x11" and viola, speaker stands. Never realized it was so easy. I plan to stain/varnish them later.

I rubbed some good old "English lemon oil furniture polish" on the speakers and what a difference to the cruddy vinyl.

Hoping my son-in-law comes around tomorrow so we can hook them up.

Here is my rig:

Conrad-Johnson PV2 modified with Jan-Phillips and Mullards

Harman-Kardon Signature series power amp 170x170 into 4 or 8 ohms.

Shanling T100 CD player

Cryogenic speaker wire.

Cryogenic interconnects.

Feet of Silence for the CD player.

British Racing cones for the Conrad-Johnson.

Gemini XL-500 MKII (made by Technics) T/Table with Goldring MM cartridge.

Looking forward for some "heavenly jazz" tomorrow.

Cheers guys and happy new year.

post-102875-1198986490.jpg

Very nice. How 'bout a close-up of that cloth? Looks like it's nicely transparent. Good tip on sprucing up cruddy vinyl, too. I've been using 409 cleaner and Armor-All to polish, but will give the English lemon oil a try!

Guest shutupuface
Very nice. How 'bout a close-up of that cloth? Looks like it's nicely transparent. Good tip on sprucing up cruddy vinyl, too. I've been using 409 cleaner and Armor-All to polish, but will give the English lemon oil a try!

Hi! Nice job on the speaker stands! :P Did you use solid pine, or, plywood? What is the thickness? Also, what did you use to secure the 2 x 4's to the wood? Thanks, for the info!

Best regards,

Rob

Guest bamacoo
Hi! Nice job on the speaker stands! :P Did you use solid pine, or, plywood? What is the thickness? Also, what did you use to secure the 2 x 4's to the wood? Thanks, for the info!

Best regards,

Rob

They are not 2x4 but 1 1/2 x 1 1/2. I used #8 2" wood screws with #2 robertson driver. I pre-drilled all the holes on both sides of the uprights and the plinths and bases.

Actually it was easier than I thought. The base is 16x16 the top is 14x11 centered to the base.

The polish is called "Old English lemon oil" polish does a remarkable job. Just finished auditioning them with my son-in-law as promised and he is totally impressed. As a matter-of-fact he bought a pair (walnut) mind you for $160 today and they are in mint condition. I think I struck gold. Would you believe that they sound better than the JMfocals Spectral that I had last year. I tested them with Archie Shepp/Dollar Brand LP-vinyl called Duet, and the sax was so sweeeet!

Cheers!

Archived