AR-3

Guest waltvtx

Guest waltvtx

I have a set of AR-3's and one of the subs stoped working. These use the Bob Carver Sunfire amps and the factory said I was out of luck as far as getting service. I have checked all the connections and I have power to the unit. It is not a problem with my Harmon Cardon amp. The left speaker works ..but the right one will not work even when connected to the left speaker wiring. The mid range and the tweeter work fine. Does anyone have any sugestions. These are not throw away speakers as the factory would have you believe.

I have a set of AR-3's and one of the subs stoped working. These use the Bob Carver Sunfire amps and the factory said I was out of luck as far as getting service. I have checked all the connections and I have power to the unit. It is not a problem with my Harmon Cardon amp. The left speaker works ..but the right one will not work even when connected to the left speaker wiring. The mid range and the tweeter work fine. Does anyone have any sugestions. These are not throw away speakers as the factory would have you believe.

Hi there;

How did you determine you have power to the unit after checking all of the connections?

You swapped the speaker cables and it is still dead?

Do you have fuses inline at the amp?

Check them out.

Did you swap out amplifiers to try the speaker?

The speaker works with the HK amp?

Greetings:

As noted, you must first deterimine if it is the Carver or the AR-3. When switching the "bad" speaker to the other amp channel did you switch the speaker leads as well? Might double check by taking the leads from the speaker that works and using that pair of leads to check the other speaker and channel.

AR-3:

It is not likely that the woofer would blow open independently of the mid/tweeter unless it was something simple like the jumper wire between Terminals #2 and #3 coming loose. The "hot" lead for both mid and tweet is Terminal #3. The "hot" lead for the woofer is Terminal #2. One possiblity is that the leads coming from the amplifier to that speaker are connected to #1 (common) and #3, with the jumper between #2 and #3 having become partly disconnected. You might check that connection to see if the nuts on #2 and #3 are tightened properly, and that there is indeed a jumper wire between the two terminals. The other possiblity for the woofer having no power is that the wire from the crossover to the woofer has become disconnected internally.

Sunfire:

As of 2006, Carver and Phase Linear products are being serviced by a company called Carver Audio Repair: http://www.carveraudiorepair.com/ Perhaps you might contact this group and see if they service Sunfire amplifiers.

Cheers,

Are you talking about AR speakers made in the 1990's? The folks here are probably more familiar with the AR-3 speakers made in the 1960's.

Mark

Guest waltvtx
Hi there;

How did you determine you have power to the unit after checking all of the connections?

You swapped the speaker cables and it is still dead?

Do you have fuses inline at the amp?

Check them out.

Did you swap out amplifiers to try the speaker?

The speaker works with the HK amp?

Hi,

When the unit is plugged in the green LED light is lit on the back of the speaker.

The left speaker works fine ..so I connected the right speaker to the left speaker wires and only the mids and tweeter worked as was the case when it was connected to the right wires.

I am not sure if there are fuses in line with the speaker wires..I will check that out.

As for trying a different amp...I will have to see if I can get the use of one. But as I said the left speaker works with the HK amp.

Guest waltvtx
Are you talking about AR speakers made in the 1990's? The folks here are probably more familiar with the AR-3 speakers made in the 1960's.

Mark

I would imagine they were built in the 90's because I boufght them about 6 years ago. They are AR-3's (tower models)but the 12"subs are powered by 300w Bob Carver amps.

Guest waltvtx
Greetings:

As noted, you must first deterimine if it is the Carver or the AR-3. When switching the "bad" speaker to the other amp channel did you switch the speaker leads as well? Might double check by taking the leads from the speaker that works and using that pair of leads to check the other speaker and channel.

AR-3:

It is not likely that the woofer would blow open independently of the mid/tweeter unless it was something simple like the jumper wire between Terminals #2 and #3 coming loose. The "hot" lead for both mid and tweet is Terminal #3. The "hot" lead for the woofer is Terminal #2. One possiblity is that the leads coming from the amplifier to that speaker are connected to #1 (common) and #3, with the jumper between #2 and #3 having become partly disconnected. You might check that connection to see if the nuts on #2 and #3 are tightened properly, and that there is indeed a jumper wire between the two terminals. The other possiblity for the woofer having no power is that the wire from the crossover to the woofer has become disconnected internally.

Sunfire:

As of 2006, Carver and Phase Linear products are being serviced by a company called Carver Audio Repair: http://www.carveraudiorepair.com/ Perhaps you might contact this group and see if they service Sunfire amplifiers.

Cheers,

Hi.... I'm thinking it is not the Karver that is the problem. I took the speaker that is not working and moved it to the left side using the speaker leads to that side and the sub did not work. I then took the right leads and hooked them to the left speaker...the one that speaker worked just fine. So it looks like it's not the Kardon because the left speaker will work with both the left and right leads ...and the right one will not work on either side.

I was hoping I could find a repair facility in my area...Midland Mi. area. It would also be nice to be able to find a drwing of the Carver amp and the speaker wiring.

Thanks for the help!

Archived