Fastening Velcro

Hi there;

This idea is for not just AR or KLH speakers but any speaker that needs to have it's grille cloth frame re-fastened to the cabinets and can be readily removed, without any further trouble.

Hot glue is really quite permanent and probably causes more frame breakages than not trying to remove them.

This idea is for the cabinet front section of mounting Velcro pieces, not on the frame.

Cut a piece of 1" +/- square of Velcro, hook and pile, mix enough 2 part epoxy glue to just coat the rear of each piece.

Buy, less than $10.00, or borrow a nail driver.

This is a tool somewhat shaped like a screwdriver/scratchawl with a spring loaded barrel containing a rod.

Also buy a small quantity of, 1/2" x 19 Guage, (1,3 cm x 19 Ga.), bright finish wire nails.

These nails have a small but adequate for this project, shoulder.

Make a template out of paper or cardboard as to the layout of the, 6 adequate or more, Velcro locations, with holes cut out.

Dab some 2 part glue on the rear of the Velcro hook piece and place it onto the front of the baffleboard.

Using these small nails in each of the corner will add more security to the piece.

You don't need to struggle trying to hold these nails and hammer also.

Others may suggest other types of glues or methods.

This is not for fastening to the grille, as the grille, usually is masonite and is hard and brittle.

Please add your suggestions and techniques here for members to see.

• 4 weeks later...
This idea is for the cabinet front section of mounting Velcro pieces, not on the frame.

The grilles on my 1975 AR-2ax's came from the factory with velcro holding them onto the cabinet. The thicker, "fuzzy" half of the velcro pair was on the cabinet, the thinner, "hook" half on the grille frame. Both were just stapled, no glue used on either. I assume the stapler was air-driven, because when I re-clothed my grilles my little handheld T37 stapler could barely tack into the masonite and I ended up tapping the staples in with a hammer. I later updated the grilles on my AR-6's from glued-in to velcro-retained new masonite framed when I replaced their woofers. It's definitely easier to staple into MDF than it is into masonite, but I didn't need any glue on those speakers, either.

The grilles on my 1975 AR-2ax's came from the factory with velcro holding them onto the cabinet. The thicker, "fuzzy" half of the velcro pair was on the cabinet, the thinner, "hook" half on the grille frame. Both were just stapled, no glue used on either. I assume the stapler was air-driven, because when I re-clothed my grilles my little handheld T37 stapler could barely tack into the masonite and I ended up tapping the staples in with a hammer. I later updated the grilles on my AR-6's from glued-in to velcro-retained new masonite framed when I replaced their woofers. It's definitely easier to staple into MDF than it is into masonite, but I didn't need any glue on those speakers, either.

Hi there;

The only reason I started this topic was because, in the past I have seen where the hook and pile are no longer fastened to either the grille frame or cabinet front.

I will remember which was the culprit after the editing period expires here. LOL

There is usually one t-staple used for the cabinet baffle board and one or two regular staples for the grille board.

I just feel that for all the work involved and if the material is in front of you, you might as well do the extra step.

Archived