newbie soldering question - AR x-o

If I remember correctly, the board that all the components were mounted on would have had in place solder terminals, but either way that you do it (it doesn't really matter) ensure that all of the components are firmly secured to the board.

Originally the air-core inductors would have been riveted and hot-glued into place and the larger capacitors would have a cable tie, which would have gone through the board and also be hot-glued. The other components can be just hot-glued in place.

Take care with the positions of the resistors relative to other components, when speakers are driven hard they will generate some heat.

I'm not familiar with the kit you have, but with a bit of thought to the layout of the parts you should have enough lead length on each component to not need any jumper wires.

You will find that if you tin the wires before you fit them in place they will be easier to solder.

One point, and its probably stating the obvious, check your wiring before you fire up the system.

Hope this is some help.

Steve

Guest Nigel

>but I was wondering what the best method is for soldering

>other parts of the x-over network together.

Point to Point, to minimize interconnections.

>Do I just wrap

>these wires around each other and put a dab of solder to

>hold in place, or do I need to buy a little connector that

>the wires can connect to first, then solder them?

Yes, tin each lead with solder, wrap then around each other, reflow the solder.

tin = put solder a thin layer of solder on the lead. Heat up your iron, clean the tip, put a bit of rosin core solder on it, touch it to the end of the lead farthest from the component, hold solder agaist the lead a bit closer to the component, as soon as the solder flows remove the iron.

You can use CA (aka Super Glue) to bond the component bodies to a small board to make them easier to work with. You can get ¼" MDF from Home Depot - which is perfect for this. Then screw the board to the insde of your speakers - make sure the screws are not too long.

Have fun.

Nigel

I've got a set of AR-2A that I am upgrading ala Layne Audio. I just received my crossover network. Its a kit that needs to be soldered etc... I think I can handle the soldering in places where I have a permanent attachment point, like on the speaker terminals and on the level control terminals, but I was wondering what the best method is for soldering other parts of the x-over network together.

For example. In between the inputs and the speakers and level controls, there is a place where some of the capacitors and other do-hickeys (excuse my ignorance) need to come together, but there is nothing there to solder them to, except each other (thin single wires). Do I just wrap these wires around each other and put a dab of solder to hold in place, or do I need to buy a little connector that the wires can connect to first, then solder them?

Hope this makes sense, any help is much appreciated. Probably a pretty basic question, but remember you were a beginner once too.

Archived