AR-3ax and over sea Reader postings needed

mluong303

AR-LST and AR-3a speakers restoration from Japan:

http://www.audiolab.co.jp/used_restore/AR/...LST_restore.htm

http://www.onomichi.ne.jp/ishii/ar3a/index2.html

...and here are some creative speakers ever made including our own Ken Kantor's AR-MGC1 in 1986.

http://www.audiostereo.pl/forum_wpisy.html...=6668&all=1

Great links, Minh!

I wish I could read the text...

I'm intrigued by the photos regarding the LST restoration. Were ALL of the drivers' voice coils removed?! Were the tweeters rebuilt? If so, how?

Roy

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"What is going on in the LST link you posted? I cannot believe they are removing voice coils! Very interesting! How do they put the old tweeter back together?"

Roy

Never underestimate what the Japanese can do or not! They love challenging and enjoy proving if "there is a will, there is a way!" But the labor cost will be much more than what we can pay for a used tweeter or midrange from eBay in the US... After all those works they did, I would suggest they go to eBay and try to purchase a match vintage AR-LST woofer to match the other unit and remove the AR-58S square magnet woofer for other use.

Unfortunately, I don't read Japanese so I can not tell you in detail but I am guessing they repair one death tweeter and one midrange to complete the restoration. See the tweeter with grey 3 dots suspension. All the McIntosh, JBL vintage gears look like new in Japanese market. They were all restored and calibrated to like new condition.

By all mean to post the link of the HiVi Q1R and the X1 if you think it is helpful in some way.

Minh Luong

I'm intrigued by the photos regarding the LST restoration. Were ALL of the drivers' voice coils removed?! Were the tweeters rebuilt? If so, how?

If I read this correctly, it appears that they opened one tweeter and all of the midranges. The "overhaul" appears to consist of removing the dome/voicecoils, cleaning and removing rust found underneath and remounting the dome/voicecoils. No mention of rewinding coils.

If I read this correctly, it appears that they opened one tweeter and all of the midranges. The "overhaul" appears to consist of removing the dome/voicecoils, cleaning and removing rust found underneath and remounting the dome/voicecoils. No mention of rewinding coils.

Impressive...I'm especially curious as to what material they are using to re-suspend the tweeter voice coil and dome assembly.

Roy

By all mean to post the link of the HiVi Q1R and the X1 if you think it is helpful in some way.

Minh Luong

Well, it probably isn't too applicable to this thread other than to support the fact that some very high quality work in the world of audio is happening in Asia these days. The link below is for the European website for Swans/HiVi Research showing the tweeters I have been experimenting with (as possible AR replacements) being used in some rather nice looking systems. There are some impressive credentials associated with this company.

http://www.swans-europe.eu/about-swans-hig...2087573ab0.html

Roy

Well, it probably isn't too applicable to this thread other than to support the fact that some very high quality work in the world of audio is happening in Asia these days. The link below is for the European website for Swans/HiVi Research showing the tweeters I have been experimenting with (as possible AR replacements) being used in some rather nice looking systems. There are some impressive credentials associated with this company.

http://www.swans-europe.eu/about-swans-hig...2087573ab0.html

Roy

Another link pertaining to the Q1R...

http://www.theaudioinsider.com/product_inf...dc178c2d248a691

Roy

Does any one have information, specification or pictures of the AR-3ax speaker. I have heard of the existence of this model but never seen one yet!

So after an entire year of hunting, did anybody ever record a confirmed sighting of these?

I've followed several mentions of it found online, but they invariably lead to AR-3a's. I am 99 44/100% sure that the "AR-3ax" is a myth based on typos and confusion with the 2ax.

• 2 weeks later...

The Rockefeller Center Christmas tree is a Norway spruce that's more than 70 feet tall and was planted in Hamilton, N.J., in 1931... " Some Dreams do come True. "

http://www.myfoxny.com/myfox/pages/News/De...mp;pageId=3.2.1

“The tree is a nice symbol of joy through hard times,” said Ms. Armstrong.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/12/...christmas-tree/

post-101112-1231071349.jpg

• 1 month later...

Greeting Teacher and Wishing you a Happy and Healthy "Neu" Year,

Thank you very much for your reply:

http://tw.myblog.yahoo.com/jw!VqR2uvya...;l=f&fid=16

If you can, please email me at ( mluong303@aol.com ) so I can ask few personal questions when I got stuck on my project down the road of experimentation.

Life has gotten so busy and rough for me so I no longer have time to join any other Groups in Taiwan, Hong Kong or Vietnam!

Respectfully,

Minh Luong

Hi Minh,

I've noticed with interest your postings regarding AR speakers in Asia. I wonder if you might have information on the rarity or plentifulness of AR speakers in Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand. While I write to you from the US, I lived in Malaysia, in Johor Bahru, which is right over the causeway from Singapore. I have in a friend in Johor (we write frequently), and he might possibly be coaxed into developing an interest in ARs if they were available and were not too expensive. (Cost will surely be an issue for him -- he is a teacher....) He is rather keen on restorations of treasures of a "golden age" (old VW beetles, older cameras, etc.), so classic spekers might be interesting to him. If you can outline where ARs were sold in SE Asia, if you know of any going begging, etc., that might be information useful in encouraging him to seek out ARs. I'm sure we'd all like that. (I mention Thailand because his family comes from the northern border region of Malaysia; and his wife frequently visits relatives in Singapore.)

Cheers! Dick (happy caring for a pair of AR-3a's)

Hi Dick

I feel the best way to experience the AR sound in Southeast Asia is to buy the AR drivers and crossover networks from eBay and then custom built the cabinets from where you are at. The pair of brand new cabinets may end up cost less than the cost of the old cabs with shipping to your Country.

Do not stuck in the mode of insist on getting the original pair which a lot of time may not worth your money and efforts. The 1" MDF or 11 layers 3/4" furniture plywood is much better materials compare to the questionable condition of the old original AR cabinets! If I am in Vietnam myself, I would certainly order a pair of AR-3a to be made by the local cabinat shop. The exotic wood veneers in Southeast Asia, Thailand or China are beautiful and much less money compare to over here in the US. Also you can order them to be made in mirror imaged pair and this is the best advantage after all. "Cay Go" and "Cam Lai" in Vietnam are the best woods to be considered.

If you really must spend your money on AR factory made speakers then Hong Kong and Taiwan will be your best bet to find a pair but beware of Lemon and unmatched drivers of different era... Good Luck.

Here is a popular site to locate AR Fans and AR speakers hunt. Just type in " Acoustic Research AR " for search on upper left hand corner to get into the AR Forum.

http://www.review33.com/avforum/

Minh Luong

• 2 months later...

Hi Mr. Galvani

Thank you for inform us about your real wood veneer AR-3a Limited speakers in Italy. Is it possible to post us pictures of the labels on the back which show the serial numbers. I would like to track down as much information as I can on this model which only few people know about!

Minh Luong

mluong303@aol.com

post-101112-1240058939.jpg

From Taiwan:

http://tw.f4.page.bid.yahoo.com/tw/auction...kkii168&tp=

From Vietnam:

http://soidong.vn/thiet-bi-dien-dan-dung-d...-ampli-den.html

These nice looking AR-3a and AR-3 speakers are heading to Saigon then forward to Hanoi for good home.

So don't be surprise the next time you travel to North Vietnam or Russia and see vintage AR-3a/AR-3 or AR-3a Limited singing proudly in that end of the World.

Minh Luong

post-101112-1240243604.jpg

post-101112-1240243646.jpg

post-101112-1240245451.jpg

post-101112-1240245469.jpg

Guest Sonnar

post-104085-1240351363.jpgpost-104085-1240351292.jpg

Hi Mr. Galvani

Thank you for inform us about your real wood veneer AR-3a Limited speakers in Italy. Is it possible to post us pictures of the labels on the back which show the serial numbers. I would like to track down as much information as I can on this model which only few people know about!

Minh Luong

mluong303@aol.com

post-104085-1240350986.jpgpost-104085-1240351113.jpgHello Mr. Luong, here are the pictures of the back labels. with serial number. In 1990, when I bought these AR 3a replica , the dealer of the hi-fi shop show me a pair of new AR 10pi replica, too expensive to me at the time, but I've ever preferred AR 3a's to 10pi. Best regards, Adriano Galvani

post-104085-1240351198.jpg

Hello, Adriano.

Please be more conscious of the size of the images you are attaching here; those of us on dialup will never see them. 640 x 480 is large enough unless there is particular detail you want us all to see.

I am just a member here, so there's no authority in this suggestion, merely an interest in what you are desiring to show here.

Hi Adriano

Thank you for the pictures but if possible, please take pictures of the front baffle with grill off and side panels to tell what kind of veneer was used on your AR-3a Limited speakers. They may have been the only mahogany veneer pair with unpainted front baffles.

It would be great news if you can check with your HiFi shop if it still around to see if they have the record of the client who bought the resurrected new AR-10Pi which you saw when you bought your AR-3a Limited. I have no idea AR had plan to market the new AR-10Pi as well in 1990...

Minh Luong

Home made AR-LST from Taiwan named JBLAR1:

http://tw.f4.page.bid.yahoo.com/tw/auction/d12296397

post-101112-1240398223.jpg

Guest Sonnar
Hello, Adriano.

Please be more conscious of the size of the images you are attaching here; those of us on dialup will never see them. 640 x 480 is large enough unless there is particular detail you want us all to see.

I am just a member here, so there's no authority in this suggestion, merely an interest in what you are desiring to show here.

Sorry Zilch, the fact is that I have a bad feeling with digital cameras ( and digital technology ) ; surely I prefer to use my old Nikkormat. I take the images using the Kodak EasyShare digital camera of my daughter without thinking at images dimensions! I'm an old Leviathan, and I'm proud to say that when I was born there were ONLY tubes amplifiers and TV's! Cheers, Adriano

I just locate these pictures of mine. The walnut vinyl covered MDF AR-3a Limited version pair were kept by AR in their MA facility until the very end when AR moved to Benicia, CA. That was why these two AR-3a Limited had no serial number labels. I owned them for couple of years and eventually let them go to better home. On the back ground were my double stacked Cello Amati speakers set up I owned at one point for a long while.

I was hoping some one who attend the Chicago CES in the early '90 has picture of the quadruple stacked Cello Amati speakers singing with full Cello music system including the quadruple Performance power amplifiers, Cello Audio Palette EQ and Cello electronics set up along with endless tri-wired Cello cables. I was hoping the reporter who cover the show has pictures of this set up to post here...

Minh Luong

post-101112-1240861062.jpg

post-101112-1240861080.jpg

post-101112-1240861091.jpg

post-101112-1240861102.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

My good old stacked AR-LST2 speakers set up. If 8 Ohms AR drivers replacement need was not an issue. This can easily be my speakers set up for life. All I need is a decent active 12" woofer to take care of the bottom end.

Minh Luong

post-101112-1241718727.jpg

post-101112-1241718744.jpg

Archived