adhesive for foam surround replacement

Guest redryder

Guest redryder

Several years ago I replaced the foam surround on one of my large advents. The package from Layne Audio had two surrounds in it as well as the adhesive. I now want to replace the surround on my other speaker. I have the unused second surround, but none of the adhesive left. Anybody have any good suggestions for the type of adhesive I should buy? Thanks.

Several years ago I replaced the foam surround on one of my large advents. The package from Layne Audio had two surrounds in it as well as the adhesive. I now want to replace the surround on my other speaker. I have the unused second surround, but none of the adhesive left. Anybody have any good suggestions for the type of adhesive I should buy? Thanks.

There's a pinned thread over at AudioKarma's speaker area on surround adhesives with over 70 posts. Wade thru that and you should get some ideas on what to use. Or, be very confused on what to buy....

I am no expert but over the last 6 years I have re-foamed 10 or so 10" and 8" woofers. 8 of these were Large Advents, the all metal ones not the ones with the masonite. The first two pairs I used the amber colored strong smelling industrial adhesive. After trying the white glue that came with one set of surrounds I have used it exclusively. I even used it on a pair of Boston Acoustics A70 woofers with plastic cones with good results. I have been told this is Aleene's Tacky Glue. Which is a PVA base glue. When it comes time to replace the surrounds again the PVA glue will be much easier to remove.

Hi there;

3M #847 Rubber and Gasket Adhesive will do the job.

Use caution as always and read the 3M safety sheets before using.

Archived