Thorens TD124 turntable

Guest crawlspace

Guest crawlspace

Some time ago I was given a Thorens TD124 turntable, #58216. I know it is at least from 1963. It never worked, so I just left it alone. Tonight however, I turned it on, and after 5 minutes, it started to spin real slow, and then got up to speed. It played a 33 rpm record, however it did not sound to good. I took the headshell off and the needle did not appear to be too good. It looks like the original cartridge. It says "ffss 4" on the front of it and on the bottom it says in handwritten "AE 9752". It also says British Patents ####, made in England.

It looks like there is a little noose that holds the needle in place, weird.

The headshell says "ortofon" on the top if it.

I went online to look for a replacement, but could not find anything that looks like it.

Does anyone know what replacement I would get for this? In my searches, it looks like I would need a magnetic cartridge. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mike

Some time ago I was given a Thorens TD124 turntable, #58216. I know it is at least from 1963. It never worked, so I just left it alone. Tonight however, I turned it on, and after 5 minutes, it started to spin real slow, and then got up to speed. It played a 33 rpm record, however it did not sound to good. I took the headshell off and the needle did not appear to be too good. It looks like the original cartridge. It says "ffss 4" on the front of it and on the bottom it says in handwritten "AE 9752". It also says British Patents ####, made in England.

The headshell says "ortofon" on the top if it.

I went online to look for a replacement, but could not find anything that looks like it.

Does anyone know what replacement I would get for this? In my searches, it looks like I would need a magnetic cartridge. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mike

Hi Mike;

The Thorens TD 124 was the, state of the art turntable, in it's day.

Often mated with the Shure SME tonearm and Shure V15 type 2 cartridge.

Ortofon is a brand of cartridge I have only read about, my being here in western Canada.

I believe that they made one really good one but I can't remember which model.

I believe that David Hafler, the founder of Dynaco, left Dynaco to go work with or for Ortofon.

Your turntable needs to be serviced soon.

Your motor sounds like it needs a lube and cleanup, this not usually done by the owners.

That is what I used to do with Dual's, Elac/Miracord's, Garrard's and miscellaneous turntables, out of warantee of course.

Sorry, I can't offer any advice on obtaining a replacement stylus, perhaps another member can.

• 1 month later...

...... I took the headshell off and the needle did not appear to be too good. It looks like the original cartridge. It says "ffss 4" on the front of it and on the bottom it says in handwritten "AE 9752". It also says British Patents ####, made in England.

The headshell says "ortofon" on the top if it...........

Mike:

Ortofon used an "FF" prefix on some of their model numbers. And they did sometimes partner with European turntable makers. But the 'made in England' part is confusing; I only know them to be a Danish concern.

-HarmonY

Archived