Does anyone know what model I'm looking for?

Guest Triple_A

Guest Triple_A

Hi!

A couple of years back, my father had a pair of pretty bulky KLH speakers.

I don't know the exact measurements but i think they where between 60 and 70cm tall (24 to 27,5inch) and a little over 30inch wide (probably 32inch or so) because they had 30inch woofers in them.

They where 3way speakers, as i said they had 12inch woofers (1woofer each), a 4inch midrange driver and a paper cone tweeter (2inch or so)

My dad threw them away because he said the speakers where completely done. From what i can remember i really liked these speakers.

Does anyone know what model these could have been?

I've been searching for years but I never found a model that even looked like these. :mellow: They also don't seem to be listed on the site.

Thanks!

Cheers, Triple_A

Could they have been Model Twelves? I really like these speakers. If you remember, did your father's have external crossovers? The Twelves do.

cheers

Kent

PS tried to upload a photo but it's not workng.

Guest Triple_A
Could they have been Model Twelves? I really like these speakers. If you remember, did your father's have external crossovers? The Twelves do.

cheers

Kent

PS tried to upload a photo but it's not workng.

Hmm, i don't think the speakers I'm looking for had external cross-overs.

Thanks for the reply anyway!

Did KLH use speaker units from other manufacturers?

Because my dad and I once pulled the KLH's apart because we wanted to give them a new paint job etc. and the tweeter looked identical to the Visaton TW70 (link), and the midrange driver looked like an old version of the Peerless 821615 (link) (the only difference i can see from the peerless driver is that the speaker used in the KLH's had brown cone surrounds, and it had a paper cone of course)

Still can't get the photo upload working :mellow:

I've emailed you some pictures, but the drivers don't look like the ones you linked. Maybe the speakers were from a later era? 70s? 80s? I'm not familiar with the spekers from "KLH" after it was sold to Singer, Kyocera, etc etc. Are you sure Dad's were KLH?

The Twelves were about 22"w 29"h and 15"d and I think they were the biggest classic KLH speakers (the Model Ones from the 50s look like they were about the same size, but they were not full-range. You had to add an electrostatic tweeter)

The Twelves had the same 4 drivers as the Fives: 12" woofer, 2 of the ubiquitous KLH mids (as used as full-range in the Model 21 radios, 19 speakers etc) and one tweeter. Three-way systems with external crossovers in nice walnut boxes.

Good luck in your quest!

cheers

Kent

Guest Triple_A
Still can't get the photo upload working :mellow:

I've emailed you some pictures, but the drivers don't look like the ones you linked. Maybe the speakers were from a later era? 70s? 80s? I'm not familiar with the spekers from "KLH" after it was sold to Singer, Kyocera, etc etc. Are you sure Dad's were KLH?

The Twelves were about 22"w 29"h and 15"d and I think they were the biggest classic KLH speakers (the Model Ones from the 50s look like they were about the same size, but they were not full-range. You had to add an electrostatic tweeter)

The Twelves had the same 4 drivers as the Fives: 12" woofer, 2 of the ubiquitous KLH mids (as used as full-range in the Model 21 radios, 19 speakers etc) and one tweeter. Three-way systems with external crossovers in nice walnut boxes.

Good luck in your quest!

cheers

Kent

Hi Kent,

Thanks again!

Unfortunately these speakers don't look like the speakers i'm looking for.

I know 100% sure they where KLH's, not sure when my dad bought them though. I'll ask him if he can remember when he bought them.

I don't think they where of the newer series (after KLH wasn't KLH anymore if you know what i mean) because i heard that the quality of the newer KLH models was no where near the older ones.

The KLH's i'm looking for where of really high quality. You could tell by the feel of the speakers (really heavy and solid cabinets) and the crossover's in them where really sofisticated. I also remember they had two knobs on the back of them to adjust the volume of the tweeters and midrange-drivers.

Anyway, I'll ask my dad what he still remembers about them because I really want to know "what" tehey where now :)

Maybe some other member will have an idea. We need Andy here (he's the resident KLH historian). Too bad the spreadsheet does not give dimensions of all the speakers.

Hey--got the uplads to work! :mellow:

Another guess: Could they have been from the Research X (ten) series? Don't see a lot of them. There is a pair on ebay now (Item number: 320184642631) They are 20" high--not as big as the ones you describe but maybe there were some bigger ones in that series.

There is a discussion of this model (cb8) on AudioKarma.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=115660

A reply from ToastedAlmond said there were bigger ones in that series and that they were not good. If that's the same ToastedAlmond who's a member here, you might try sending him a PM for info.

Good luck with your quest

Kent

Guest Triple_A
Another guess: Could they have been from the Research X (ten) series? Don't see a lot of them. There is a pair on ebay now (Item number: 320184642631) They are 20" high--not as big as the ones you describe but maybe there were some bigger ones in that series.

There is a discussion of this model (cb8) on AudioKarma.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=115660

A reply from ToastedAlmond said there were bigger ones in that series and that they were not good. If that's the same ToastedAlmond who's a member here, you might try sending him a PM for info.

Good luck with your quest

Kent

Wow thanks,

the speakers i'm looking for had *exactly* the same binding posts as the ones on ebay you mentioned. Only they had 2 buttons instead of 1.

Guess this is all i got to go on right now :rolleyes:

Again thanks!

Archived