Meeting of the (sort of) new and old AR?

administrator

My audio system currently consists of four AR 303a speakers powered by a harman/kardon Signature 2.1 (5 channel) amplifier. I picked up an AR-1W recently (thanks Andy!) and had an idea which requires a sanity check. <_<

I don't use the AR 303 series center channel because I don't currently have a way to mount it, which means I have an unused channel on the amplifier. Would it make sense to use the AR-1W as a subwoofer powered off that channel? I'm not sure how to configure the Signature 2.0 surround processor for the AR-1W, but I think the manual is kicking around somewhere.

My dad suggested using a low-pass frequency cutoff of about 70Hz to 100Hz with a 12db/octave rolloff. I'm not sure if I can do that yet with the surround processor but it's my next project.

Mark

• 4 weeks later...
My audio system currently consists of four AR 303a speakers powered by a harman/kardon Signature 2.1 (5 channel) amplifier. I picked up an AR-1W recently (thanks Andy!) and had an idea which requires a sanity check. :blink:

I don't use the AR 303 series center channel because I don't currently have a way to mount it, which means I have an unused channel on the amplifier. Would it make sense to use the AR-1W as a subwoofer powered off that channel? I'm not sure how to configure the Signature 2.0 surround processor for the AR-1W, but I think the manual is kicking around somewhere.

My dad suggested using a low-pass frequency cutoff of about 70Hz to 100Hz with a 12db/octave rolloff. I'm not sure if I can do that yet with the surround processor but it's my next project.

Mark

I'm getting the feeling that my plan may have been considered a bit unconventional?

I haven't actually tried to use the AR-1W yet since I've spent so much time on the website and forums lately. I think using it with my current AR-303a system as a subwoofer would be interesting since it may be a long while before I put together a worthy mono system.

Mark

My audio system currently consists of four AR 303a speakers powered by a harman/kardon Signature 2.1 (5 channel) amplifier. I picked up an AR-1W recently (thanks Andy!) and had an idea which requires a sanity check. :blink:

Would it make sense to use the AR-1W as a subwoofer powered off that channel?

Somewhere on this great forum you host for us is a discussion of almost exactly this. I think it was Steve F that was able to explain why our "hi-fi" speakers made lousy subwoofers in surround applications, but I can't remember the subject. It's been years ago. It might not have been Steve.

I used an AR-1W and a Jantzen electrostatic panel as a center channel in a surround setup with my AR-9s and some 2ax's for rears once for a short while. It didn't sonically match worth a flip, but I liked it anyway. Pro-Logic was so cool.

I am sooooo old.

Bret

Somewhere on this great forum you host for us is a discussion of almost exactly this. I think it was Steve F that was able to explain why our "hi-fi" speakers made lousy subwoofers in surround applications, but I can't remember the subject. It's been years ago. It might not have been Steve.

I used an AR-1W and a Jantzen electrostatic panel as a center channel in a surround setup with my AR-9s and some 2ax's for rears once for a short while. It didn't sonically match worth a flip, but I liked it anyway. Pro-Logic was so cool.

I am sooooo old.

Bret

Sounds like I have a post to find! If this is a bad idea from the outset I won't waste the time trying to configure the HK.

Mark

Archived