The (New and Improved) Classic Speaker Pages

administrator

Please pardon the ongoing construction. I decided to fire the website up live today so I can get a feel for how well it's performing while I continue to add content.

You'll notice the forums now have much more functionality, but there are still some features I'm working on. The rest of the website... well, I'm working on it. ;)

Feel free to reply to this post with your comments!

Mark

Please pardon the ongoing construction. I decided to fire the website up live today so I can get a feel for how well it's performing while I continue to add content.

You'll notice the forums now have much more functionality, but there are still some features I'm working on. The rest of the website... well, I'm working on it. ;)

Mark

I'm going to leave the old website online for a few days. To reach it, use the following URL:

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net:8080

Mark

Feel free to reply to this post with your comments!

Mark

Hi Mark. Looks great so far. When can I post my ad in the Google Ads area?

Hi Mark. Looks great so far. When can I post my ad in the Google Ads area?

You would have to sign up with Google (their AdWords service specifically) for that. I'm currently evaluating all of the Google tools that I think will be helpful here, including Analytics and AdSense. I'll be running Google AdSense in the forums as the forums are essentially separate from the rest of the website and require most of my time, funds, and sanity. I won't be running Google AdSense anywhere other than the forums.

At this point I don't think I'll be running any other types of ads in the forums, but I'll see how things go in terms of the user experience and the load on my server. One thing I do expect is the readership to explode once Google crawls all the content on the new website and forums.

Mark

Mark,

Have been cruising about. Things are looking good. One thing I notice is that it seems that not all the the images that were posted in some of the discussion topics have made it over to the new site. Just wondering if this is a burp or an action still in progress.

James

Mark,

Have been cruising about. Things are looking good. One thing I notice is that it seems that not all the the images that were posted in some of the discussion topics have made it over to the new site. Just wondering if this is a burp or an action still in progress.

James

I hadn't noticed that problem yet... I doubt I'll be able to fix it at this point. I'm actually surprised how much of the data we were able to retain. Can you give me an example of a post where you know the image showed up in the previous forum software but isn't now?

Mark

I hadn't noticed that problem yet... I doubt I'll be able to fix it at this point. I'm actually surprised how much of the data we were able to retain. Can you give me an example of a post where you know the image showed up in the previous forum software but isn't now?

Mark

Here's a couple. Only happened to notice it as they are posts that I had added photos to.

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Boar...?showtopic=3869

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Boar...?showtopic=3957

I agree about how well everything seemed to tranfer over. The little glitches we can deal with. BTW, I like your classic architectural detail photo on the home page.

It seems that the chronological order of the threads is backwards, which means that the thread starter for ported over threads is incorrect. I'm listed as thread starter for example in the AR section for the thread "Help with my LST's please ideas", when I was actually the last poster. Anyway, a minor point.

Pete B.

It seems that the chronological order of the threads is backwards, which means that the thread starter for ported over threads is incorrect. I'm listed as thread starter for example in the AR section for the thread "Help with my LST's please ideas", when I was actually the last poster. Anyway, a minor point.

Pete B.

Very good point... I'll look into this after I investigate the attachment issue.

Mark

Mark,

Change is always a bit tricky to get used to, especially in the beginning. I find the new look somewhat confusing.

From a functional standpoint, what I miss is the list of authors/replies that followed the original post under the old system. You could see at a glance who was participating in that particular thread. Now, you have no idea who the participents are unless you scroll down through every single reply.

Steve F.

Mark,

Change is always a bit tricky to get used to, especially in the beginning. I find the new look somewhat confusing.

From a functional standpoint, what I miss is the list of authors/replies that followed the original post under the old system. You could see at a glance who was participating in that particular thread. Now, you have no idea who the participents are unless you scroll down through every single reply.

Steve F.

Hi Steve,

One way to see similar information is to go to "Options" and change the display mode to "Outline" - it's not exactly like DCForum+, but close.

I agree, this new forum software is a bit confusing at first. There is a massive amount of new functionality, both for users and for me as the administrator. Once we all adjust to it, I think you'll find the upgrade worthwhile.

Mark

Very good point... I'll look into this after I investigate the attachment issue.

Mark

Thanks very much for all the work to keep this going.

Also, I noticed that there is a link to the old site, but that the discussion

forum does not work. I think if the old forum were available but locked,

then we could at least look up old pictures that are missing on the new

forum.

Thanks again,

Pete B.

Thanks very much for all the work to keep this going.

Also, I noticed that there is a link to the old site, but that the discussion

forum does not work. I think if the old forum were available but locked,

then we could at least look up old pictures that are missing on the new

forum.

Thanks again,

Pete B.

Hi Pete,

I'm retiring the server that the old forum ran on as soon as possible. The IP.Board vendor helped correct the attachment and thread order issues over the last couple days, so hopefully no one really needs the old forum at this point.

On that note, if you all can check on some of your posts with attachments to make sure things look ok that would be helpful.

Thanks,

Mark

You would have to sign up with Google (their AdWords service specifically) for that. I'm currently evaluating all of the Google tools that I think will be helpful here, including Analytics and AdSense. I'll be running Google AdSense in the forums as the forums are essentially separate from the rest of the website and require most of my time, funds, and sanity. I won't be running Google AdSense anywhere other than the forums.

At this point I don't think I'll be running any other types of ads in the forums, but I'll see how things go in terms of the user experience and the load on my server. One thing I do expect is the readership to explode once Google crawls all the content on the new website and forums.

Mark

Mark:

Any chance the 'Ads by Google' could appear at the top of a new page rather than the bottom as it is now? The ads will be missed by most unless they scroll all the way down past the last post on the page <_<

Pete B.

Thanks again Mark,

Seems that same thread has not changed, don't know if there is a link or flag for the thread starter but it is still shown as me. Or have I not refreshed something correctly?

Pete B.

Thanks again Mark,

Seems that same thread has not changed, don't know if there is a link or flag for the thread starter but it is still shown as me. Or have I not refreshed something correctly?

Pete B.

Ok... thread order is fixed and last action performed by is fixed. I can't fix the topic starter without doing (more) major database work, so I think that one we have to leave alone. I don't think it impacts the content in any way... but good eye. <_<

Mark

Mark:

Any chance the 'Ads by Google' could appear at the top of a new page rather than the bottom as it is now? The ads will be missed by most unless they scroll all the way down past the last post on the page <_<

I'll keep that suggestion in mind. The ads are currently running at the bottom of threads so that they show in an unobtrusive manner. I may find some compromise in the future, but currently I'm still neck deep in forum and Library work.

Mark

It's nice to see the Avatar's starting to appear.

Mark, your's is unreadable. Was that your intent?

Mark:

One more observation on posts:

I notice that replies to posts don't reference a particular post number like your old system did. This could get confusing - particularly when threads on a specific subject run into the 20-40 count. I've noticed this same problem over at AK. Is the new IP.BOARD system capable of this feature?

Right now, the only way of referencing a specific thread in a new reply is to quote it and, if uneeded, will take up more bytes on your server.

It's nice to see the Avatar's starting to appear.

Mark, your's is unreadable. Was that your intent?

Mark:

One more observation on posts:

I notice that replies to posts don't reference a particular post number like your old system did. This could get confusing - particularly when threads on a specific subject run into the 20-40 count. I've noticed this same problem over at AK. Is the new IP.BOARD system capable of this feature?

Right now, the only way of referencing a specific thread in a new reply is to quote it and, if uneeded, will take up more bytes on your server.

It's Edgar Villchur's signature... unfortunately I can't make it any larger.

Regarding following threads, have you tried the other display modes? I think they are "Linear+" and "Outline."

There are a huge number of "mods" for IP.Board, so I may investigate additional display modes in the future. Still have to get the AR section of the Library squared away though!

Mark

hi Mark

Can't seem to upload photos (small, like 22KB) I browse, hit "upload", it looks like it's working, but nothing happens.

Keep up the good work!

Kent

Archived