Removing Grilles on a Dynaco A-25

Guest audiophileman2002

Guest audiophileman2002

Can someone let me know how to remove the front grilles out of an A-25 without damaging them? I just acquired a mint pair of A-25s that has never had its front grilles removed. I own 2 pairs of the large Advents and a pair of the KLH 23 and their grilles are removable. Thanks in advance for your help.

>Can someone let me know how to remove the front grilles out

>of an A-25 without damaging them? I just acquired a mint pair

>of A-25s that has never had its front grilles removed. I own

>2 pairs of the large Advents and a pair of the KLH 23 and

>their grilles are removable. Thanks in advance for your

>help.

Hi Rod;

Fist remove the Dynaco logos by unscrewing them ccw otherwise you will pull the plates off of the screws.

The grill cloths are no longer available so be very careful.

My only experiences with Dynaco A-25 speakers is that a pretty goop glues the frames to the cabinets.

Using a metal spatula, be careful with the walnut edging and slip the spatula down between the veneer and the cloth.

Gently pry the frame outwards.

Lastly if you don't need to remove it, don't.

Good luck.

Guest denmarkdrivers

Most used glue to hold the speaker covers on, but i have a pair that show no glue marks on the face, the wood looks brownish redish compared to the black spec board used on the other pair. both pairs have thick faces but one pair doesnt have glue marks anywhere on the face for the speaker covers, strange ?

Removing the covers on the A25s most likely wont dammage anything, I've pulled them off 3 pairs no problems the glue isent close enough to the driver or tweeter to harm them when pulling them off.

good luck, craig

Guest audiophileman2002

Thanks Dan & Craig. I'm not thinking of removing them now but may eventually want to do so to work on the crossover, binding post and change the internal wiring. Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest denmarkdrivers

They will sound a lot better if you remove the covers , just my opinion but I understand not wanting to as well. ( cardboard cut out speaker covers on many of the A25s seem to hurt the sound some )

I can post some pics with showing A25s with covers off if you havent seen them that way, just reply to this post.

good luck.... craig

• 4 weeks later...

The other poster nailed it. Once you have the tags off, find the easiest place to slide a knife in and pry gently, being careful not to damage the wood. If that area won't yield, try another. If you can get the screen out far enough to get a finger behind it, just apply slow, consistent pressure. Some screens are hard as heck to get off; others come off quite easily.

I think that some later A-25s, the ones with the reddish baffles, may have had Velcro fasteners, making things easier.

Guest denmarkdrivers

unfortunately i dident know that when i pulled my covers off guess i got lucky , ruined the covers a little though i just yanked mine off , yes the other poster is a bright one :P

Archived