Any Genesis Fans Out There

Glad to see someone else is out there. We are a dying breed. There are still some Model 22s and 2+s available on eBay. I passed on a pair of Model 44s I would have loved; buy my wife thinks I have too many speakers as it is. Some folks get secret apartments for their lovers. I may get one for more stereo stuff.

• 6 months later...

I still got my 320's that I rebuilt...  And kept great base for surround sound. Paired with a used paradigm 6.5' dual woofer ported  center channel speaker I am very impressed at the sound at regular volumes...  Paradigm and 2 nht  in real wood cabinets for 220 bucks in mint condition...  Old stuff really has a purpose.... And when sub 12 inch get unplugged cleaning I have a hard time figuring sub is not connected.... They really can kick base.. Until you realize the really low is missing... Chair rattling.... 

• 2 weeks later...

New here, but am glad to contribute to the discussion. Picked up a pair of Genesis IIs and have been working on them. The boxes and grills are in very good shape--not perfect but more than presentable. Of course the green foam was rotted on the passive radiator. Both tweeters sound great, but the woofers were replacements--turns out they were radio shack replacements and after refoaming the PR the speakers sound awful with incorrect woofers. Am getting some new proper woofers next week, am rebuilding the crossover, and can't wait to hear them. Will keep you posted of the progress.

L1150036.JPG

Bought some replacements from vendor Avidspeakers on ebay. He said he used to work for EPI and Genesis and we've been having an ongoing conversation about the G-IIs, They just arrived and I installed them last night. Not quite the same as originals or humanspeakers. They do sound good, but since I didn't have the originals I don't know what to compare them to--but they sound way better than the RS woofers I had in there. I wouldn't mind refoaming an old pair of original drivers and am on the lookout for them. They're still in the garage until I can finish rebuilding the original rear plate and cross-over. In the meantime I'm using some custom plates I made with a 10uf Audyn cap and new Visiton inductor, new binding posts and new wire.L1150140.JPGL1150142.JPG

• 5 months later...

Just found a pair of Genesis 7 speakers at Goodwill for $7/pair. Amazing. Replacing my vintage Utah AS-2x with these. Amazing and a half. Who made these? When? So glad I don't need to replace the surrounds. Though I could if I had too. Done it before. I haven't been this psyched about speakers since I bought a pair of Cewin Vega se200's back in 1989.  These sound so much better than those.  Wow.  Great hi end.  Great bass.  Great everything.  Woof!!!

Edited by Damnedcat777
Typo

I bought a pair of Genesis Physics Model 7 bookshelf speakers back in 1990 or 1991. My large Cerwin Vega's had just blown and I was angry because I had no money to replace them. I think I paid $125, at the most. I didn't know how good they were; but I still have them and they still sound wonderful. Magical tweeters!  $7 a pair is a real stroke of luck! You can get some history (and parts) here:

http://www.humanspeakers.com/genesis/genstory.htm

• 3 months later...

I am the original owner of a pair of 320's. I have tried to buy speakers for around $1000 to $1500 a pair several times and I sent them back because they just couldn't touch these Genesis speakers. To match these I think I would have to spend over $3000 a pair.

I bought them as closeouts at a stereo store around 1984 in Austin,TX. I've hauled them through 5 moves. I have only had to replace 2 surrounds. The cloth is in bad need of replacing and the cabinets have some nicks but the sound is wonderful. Their just kind of not very pretty and definitely not as good looking as the latest speakers. Maybe I'll replace them if they give up the ghost but they just keep going.

I've gone through 3 integrated amp's in the time I have had the speakers. I started with a 30 watt NAD and I have a Cambridge Cx80 now. The speakers are placed about 15' apart and the sound stage is all I could want. I have gotten my money's worth for sure. 

It's nice to hear from someone who shares an experience very similar to my own. I brought my Model 7s to a meet on Saturday. Some folks were familiar with the Genesis Physics story and enjoyed the memories. Those who had never heard of GP were impressed with the sound from these little giants. 

• 4 months later...

Genesis fan here, both Genesis Physics, and Genesis the band! Oh yeah, and new here! :P

I've had a pair of Genesis II's for about the past 7 years. Shortly after getting them, I upgraded the crossovers with a cascade bypass design, using three caps, each increasing in quality and smaller in value (Dayton 1% 6.8uF, Jantzen Standard 2.2uF, Jantzen Superior 1.0uF), along with an upgraded Jantzen 18awg inductor. Also upgraded the rear terminal plate, added quality binding posts and upgraded the internal wiring. 

p2706440115-5.jpg

p2733412287-5.jpg

Last weekend, I decided to do some upgrading again and went with a single Jantzen Superior Z-Cap 10uF and a Jantzen 16awg wax-foil inductor. 

p2733595547-5.jpg

p2733595549-5.jpg

8 hours ago, nosubs said:

Impressive work! How do you like the sound?

Well, let me put it this way... I have a mint pair of NHT 2.9's, a mint pair of Martin Logan SL3's that are actively crossed over (stock passive networks are bypassed), and a mint pair of GR-Research X-Statik's with completely hot-rodded crossovers. Those are all now moth-balled in favor of these Genesis II's. 

These upgraded Genesis II's do just about everything right, including outperforming those above mentioned speakers in just about every area imaginable.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi,

the toggle increases or decreases the tweeter volume, decrease is for neutral sound. 

Back is the 80’s I worked in a small stereo shop that sold Genesis speakers. I have a pair of model 44’s that I redid the woofer and passive sourrounds on. Still can’t buy a better sounding/imaging speaker for under $2k. 

• 11 months later...
On 2/15/2020 at 1:17 PM, N5878C said:

I have a pair of Genesis II that I bought in 1979. Had the foam inserts replace still sound great after all these years. Can someone tell me what the toggle switch that reads increase/decrease does?

I have a pair of Genesis II speakers that I bought in 1980. I remember comparing 15 different speakers. Some were very loud. The loudest pair seemed to be the choice for everyone in the room, except me. They were so warm and clean. 

The green foam disintegrated on both speakers and passive radiators. Twice. I had Huw Powell fix them. I wish I had an option, other than Human Speakers. The last foam fix only lasted 5 years. They were powered by a 35 watt Technics receiver, so they were never blasted. If anyone knows how I can do this retaining the original beautiful quality sound.

If that happens, I would like to upgrade the upgrades. So I would enjoy hearing what you have all tried throughout the years.

BTW, the tweeters are still great, though I always wanted a little more high end.

Thank you,

‘Michael