bypass caps on AR LST

Hi there;

Until recently I had only come across writings with a small pf siver mica cap being used in electronics, usually amp input sections.

It was always a larger poly, or similar type cap, not a tiny silver mica, which I believe is a very stable and accurate type cap, used as a bypass.

I don't think we now have a surplus electronic parts store in Vancouver.

Vern

Jim,

I wouldn't recommend using most 5,000uF polars in this way. It's hard to find caps that big that don't have issues at the top of the audio band, (eg- electrical self-resonance.) If it were just a subwoofer LPF, you could get away with it. But, in this case, full-range audio runs through the cap. Parts Express has decent, 500uF, non-polars for about $5 each. You could put five of them in parallel, stick a 1uF film bypass across it all for luck, and be done with it.

Stacking speakers is fun, and often gives a pleasant sound. However, it also very much changes the tonality and imaging of the speakers. I think any sonic effects from the crossover input cap of the LST are going to be negligible in comparison. In other words... don't let it hold you back!

-k

www.kenkantor.com

ww.ztamplifiers.com

Hello all thank you for all the information My goal is to have all 8 LST speakers restored put into a stacked quad system. the only road blocks have been the 2500uf caps and the fact that I don't have crossovers for two of them I have picked up two 10pi crossovers that can be modded to fit just with different db slops but with some test equipment could find a place were they match a setting on the originals.

AR has in the past on some of the LST speakers used two 5000uf polar caps to come up with the 2500uf this would be possible to do again there are plenty of these caps around.

like they came up with 5000uf non polar in the early LST using four 5000uf polar caps in them. as we have found out this was quit hard on some amps .so they dropped it to 2500uf. using two 5000uf polar them came up with 2500uf polar caps they then used in the 10 pi and the AR 9.

It would solve a lot of problems for some one to just take two 5000uf polar caps pos to pos and test them on the negs to confirm they come out to 2500uf and we could all get our speakers up and running if they are LST or 10pi or AR9.

Thank you all again for the helps so far.

Jim

Archived