Repost of : "Recent Installation of an AR-9 Based Audio System - PICS"

Guest Goyescas2001

Guest Goyescas2001

{Resized photos from previous post (deletion requested from admin).

"Recent Installation of an AR-9 Based Audio System - PICS"

The two photos below reference a corresponding post in the general forum. As such, they hopefully provide visual reference and encouragement re a recent installation of the AR-9's in a home (finished basement) environment.

The remains of the now-absent barometer (pictured above the left speaker in the first photo below) is now available for purchase on Ebay. The other shelved objects will also, we expect, soon find themselves crashing to the floor.

post-102560-1184006388.jpg

post-11-1184006388.jpg

I am a newbie here, but am looking forward to a great deal of fun and AR information.

Congratulations on your AR9 setup. I have smiled every time I looked at, much less heard my own.

A FYI these new jpgs don't seem to load? I pulled up the first ones without a problem.

Now here is where things may get dicey. I haven't yet seen any mention of this situation on the site, but I would like to make a comment regarding the side grille panels. My units were acquired about 20 years ago, I am really not sure of the date. The very 1st thing I did after connecting them to be sure they worked, was to VERY Carefully remove the chrome surround rings. I just thought they were unattractive and screamed "55 Chevy Hot Rod to me. The staples were removed very easily and I acheived a perfect removal with NO DAMAGE to the cloth. The change in apperance was much greater than I would ever have anticipated. I swear to you that in less than 1 hour I turned my '55 Chevy Hot Rods, into an original "E" Jaguar. Old but yet beautifull and contemporary to this day. There is 1 in the NY museum of art I believe. With the chrome gone those AR9's would look GREAT right along side of it. I recently met a young man who had a set of 9's that incurred overwhelming damage. I purchased and installed his re-foamed 11" drivers. I was suprised when he responded that his came to him without the chrome. You might try lightly placing cheap electrical tape over the chrome on just 1 side or 1 speaker, to get a feel for what they would look like. I very much realize that this is absolutely a matter of personal taste rather than right and wrong. Never the less I was so impressed by the change that I just wouldn't have felt right not sharing the suggestion.

Please be advised that if you should choose to do this, there will be no charge for the consultation. Your undying gratitude will be sufficient. Should you not do this I am sure your speakers will still sound as great as mine. Thats makes us BOTH very fortunate people.

Good Listening

JLM2230

Jeff

Guest Barrydor

Jeff,

You are absolutely correct about the chrome trim rings on the AR9. In my opinion, this is the only aspect of the design that looks a little cheap and chintzy. Also, the trim rings on mine had become pitted and stained. When I replaced the grill cloth on my AR9s, I painted the rings flat black before I replaced them. In my opinion, the new look is much better

Barry

mine came with the chrome trim intact, but corroded heavily. the grill cloth on the sides and front were in poor condition as well. i ended up replacing all the cloth and leaving the trim off. i think they look much better without it.

Guest Goyescas2001

>mine came with the chrome trim intact, but corroded heavily.

>the grill cloth on the sides and front were in poor condition

>as well. i ended up replacing all the cloth and leaving the

>trim off. i think they look much better without it.

I was hoping to resurface the chrome trim with 24k gold leaf! Of course, then we would have to relocate them to Miami....

Hey now wouldn't that qualify as a Tweak.

I bet if you did that you would be able to here the 3rd Cellist turning his sheet music pages.

I am very pleased the no one took umbridge at my suggestion. I have gotten the impression from reading a great many posts here, that as a group, you are less thin skinned and more amusing than most Newsgroup and or Audio enthusiests.

I am still doing a great deal of reading, but sense the need to pretty soon start asking some Dumb Newbie questions.

Good Listening

Jeff

Archived