AR-2AX midrange upgrade speaker questions

I recently bought a set of speakers (no cabinet or crossovers) on ebay to replace one of my blown woofers. The speakers contained a single midrange rather than the dual midrange on my original set, which I assume is the upgrade AR made when they switched to the -2AX. I would like to try out the single midrange but I am unsure how to handle the wiring, since the crossover is now wired withe the midranges in parallel, but in series and to different location on the pots. Has anyone performed this upgrade? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Stauby

PS I have extra midranges & tweeters I won't be using. Email me if you need any; otherwise they'll go back on Ebay

I don't know how to tell if it is a 'super tweeter' or not. These are about 3/4" on the domed center, with a big round steel base, maybe 3" or so surrounding it. Two very thin uninsulated wired extend down the front of each, with black tape covering them. They're still available if you want them. Let me know so I don't list them on Ebay.

Stauby

In their stock form, both the 2a and 2ax are really 2-ways with a woofer and two tweeters, one "low" and one "high" range. A true 3-way would have a dedicated midrange driver picking up the bulk of the vocal range. Till the 4" cone mid came along in the early 38/48 series speakers, the only real midrange driver AR had was the 1.5" dome from the 3's. The "mids" in the 2a were the tweeters from the 2, and the "mid" in the 2ax was a slightly modified version of the tweeter from the 4 series speakers. In the 2a/2ax the woofer works up till about 1K where it starts to roll off naturally, and the "mids" finally pick up around 2K. Electrically the crossover is around 1.5K

The crossover is different between the 2a and 2ax, and you do need an adapter plate to make the single mid fit in place of the old 2-2a style dual tweeter module. Crossover is a simple 6 uf cap on the "mid", 4uf on the tweeter. You can make the plates yourself or we have them pre made from AR for about $15 each.

The later .75" black paper dome tweeter [found in later 3a and 2ax]is improved over the older style [1st generation] tweeter which had the brown-ish colored 1" hard dome [resin treated fabric]. The later tweeters were "super" for the late 60's/ early 70's, when being able to reach up to 15kHz was really an amazing feat. Remember too that the entire chain of recording and playback equipment of the day was limited, nowhere near the "hi-fi" range you expect today. Too much high end response could also be a very bad thing "back when", exagerating any hiss or noise in your system.

Archived