AR 4x and EPI 100's

thiptoman

Can any one who has lived with these speakers describe the tonal properties of each.Which is the most accurate system in regards to frequency response and natural sounding reproduction? I realize that the AR4x speakers are really old but how would they compare to modern systems as far as sound quality is concerned?

Guest rickcee

Hi Well, first the EPI 100 was one of the best $100. each speakers. ever. Two steps better than AR 4. Had a brighter sound than AR , etc. Both EPI and AR had cheesy foam surround that rots after 15 -20 years. ( o.k. back then they probably didn't realize ). Modern speakers - price wise ? Not many 20 " speakers being sold these days (trad. bookshelf ) especially real wood veneer. Polk RT 55 , Cambridge Newton M 80 both about $500. a pair. JBL has a similar size that got exce. review in 'stereophile' mag, forget the name. S 38 or something. 8 " 3 way, about $400. Bose has the bookshelf 301 for about $320. pr.-both vinyl. Madisound has cygnet at $400. per pair for a kit - 8" two way, real wood finish. For $100. each ? ? nowadays thats inexpensive, smaller 6" two way, give up some lowish bass and quality of finish but otherwise fine. enjoy

Guest rickcee

Hi I might suggest - IF you're just getting into 'classic high fi' check for - Dynaco A25 spks - (about $120 - 180. pr. on E BAY )similar quality to EPI, but with real rubber bass surrounds, no deterioration. two others - the KLH 17 which has sound similar to AR 4 , but one of nicest looking cabinets (I like the taller proportions. plus excel. veneer - cloth surrounds last much longer than AR,EPI , Advent foam.) Third - ADS made audiophile quality bookshelf spks in the mid '80 's. Expensive now (holding near list price on E BAY ) very high q. sound and style.

Archived