The difference between AR3a & AR303

I just happened to find and purchase brand new factory sealed AR303a in ACCESSORIES4LESS.com ( very lucky to find this discontinued item ) introduced by this site. The sound of AR303a matched with old MARANTZ-2325 receiver was breath-taking with silky smooth tone while delivering truely real bass with dynamic punch. The cosmetics with rosewood finish were very attractive, however, the black grilles were a little bit disappointing in comparison to AR-3a's classic looking cream-cloured ones.

I am so curious if there is any sound difference between AR-3A and AR303(a). If anybody have had the chance to compare these two models each other, please let me (us) know in detail.

Guest rickcee

Hi Srereo review mag reviewed the 303 in about '96 and they dug up the 3a to compare - concl. : very similar, new model somewhat 'brighter' (as would be expected) There's a list of some mag. test dates somewhere on this site, try the library . . .

Guest rickcee

OOPS I tried to edit previous comment, too late, I guess. From 'Stereophile' mag. Sept 95 "Higher in frequency, the AR 303 offered a smooth but mellow tonal balance - reflecting it's 'east coast' heritage . . ." and "with the Conrad Johnson tube amp, the highs were further platau'd down, while with the single ended Cary with it's 4 ohm output imp., there wasn't quite enough treble left to preserve the musics sense of life, as sweet, musical, and expansive as the midrange undoubtedly sounded. This suggests the AR's are intended to be used with inexpensive solid-state electronics. . ." Typical Stereophile. I am NOT an audiophile. No way I can afford $8,000. Wilson or Vandersteen speakers plus $5,000. in electronics. And from the 'Stereo Review' article (June '95) "The AR 303 was smoother overall and had stronger output at the highest frequencies (from 10 to 20 Khz)On Axis at 1 meter it's output variation was +- 1.5 db from 300 hz to 18 Khz " And 'There was no doubt that the two (AR 303 and AR 3a ) were close relatives in he bottom octaves. In fact, there was little or no audible difference between them in the deep bass." I would agree. I have the AR 302 model, 10 " bass but same mid & tweeter - compared to my Koss 1020 spks, similar deep bass to 30 hz , AR has less 'sparkle' - the new england sound. That's easy to take care of with a small treble boost. Typical Old AR. - excel. anyway Rick

Archived