An interesting (to me) auditory phenomenon

As I've posted elsewhere, I've experimented with bi-amplification enhancing my Bose 901s with tweeters crossed over at around 9khz in effect making it a two way system. When listening to the tweeters alone and switching the main drivers back in, it takes about a second or two for my brain to integrate them to form a single coherent picture. In the interim, I hear them as distinctly separate sounds with the main speakers clearly producing no high end and the tweeters as separate. Then the image comes together although it takes a few seconds for the timbral balance to sound correct, initially sounding as though the high end is rolled off. But when I try the reverse, operating the system with the tweeters off and then switching them in, the new image becomes coherent immediately. Anyone else have a similar experience?

In a similar vein, I also experiment with recreating ambient acoustical fields which enhance recordings by producing a kind of simulated hall acoustics, my own surround sound system invention. I have a similar experience when I listen to the ambient acoustic field by itself and then switch in the main speakers. It takes a second or two for my brain to integrate the image while if I start with just the main speakers and switch the ambient field on, the image comes together immediately.

In the past, I never really paid much attention to this and just considered it as a nuissance. Now that I have become conscious of it, I intend to play with it some more to see what if anything I can learn about how the brain assembles integrated acoustic images from its separate constituents.

Archived