Does anyone know the Vifa replacements for Snell A midrange & tweeter

Guest aroostookme

Guest aroostookme

I am looking for the speaker make and replacement speaker number for the Snell Type A midranges.

The tweeter replacements are Vifa's.

Does anyone know the mid replacements? Snell does not make these andtypically uses Vifa.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

>I am looking for the speaker make and replacement speaker

>number for the Snell Type A midranges.

>

>The tweeter replacements are Vifa's.

>

>Does anyone know the mid replacements? Snell does not make

>these andtypically uses Vifa.

>

>Thanks.

Hi,

I don't follow Snells much, but I do have a copy of a review of the Type B from Audio 1992 in my files. I remember reading this review, and noticing the very common D25AG tweeter from Vifa in the pictures. Snell didn't even use a custom face plate like most others, looks like the stock version. Good move keeps cost down and allows owners to use stock replacements. This was probably THE most popular tweeter of all time, used often with a custom face plate by PSB, Vandersteen, Paradigm and many, many others.

I remember looking at the mids and they also looked like a 5-1/4" Vifa P13 type. This and the P17, P21 were also very common drivers, but I've found that they're often custom variations on the stock unit.

I don't know the Snell Type A but if you tell us about the mid I'll try to help, is it 5-1/4", poly or paper cone? Is the voice coil 1", what is the DCR, what are the magnet dimensions, does it have a cast frame? There are short and long throw versions of the p13 so you might want to watch out for that. Word out is that the stock units are going out of production.

Pete B.

Archived