ohmystery

Guest tdeutsch

Guest tdeutsch

I have a pair of Pinnacle 3-way acoustic suspension monitors (they are my AR3A's until I can find/afford the real thing!). They are rated at 6 ohms. From one source (the dealer) I am told to set my receiver switch at 4 ohms. From another source (audioholics) I am told to set it at 8 and that I should NEVER switch the switch to 4 ohms. Does this switch degrade the sound on my modest/cheap-o receivers (a modern Yamaha, a 90s Sherwood and a 60s Lafayette)? What to do when your speakers' ohms fall in the middle?

Thanks for any help!

I'm guessing your receiver can switch 2 pairs of speakers. The 4/8 ohm switch puts the speakers in series when both are switched on ie A + B speakers. If you are only using one set of speakers the 4/8 switch should make no difference in either position.

You can verify this by switching to the A + B speakers on your receiver and put the 4/8 switch in the 4 position. There shpuld be no sound out of the speakers unless you connect a second set to the B terminals. Try it in the 8 position and you will have sound.

Recommend you keep it in the 4 position when using 2 sets of speakers because of your 6 ohm rating of the one set.

I'm assuming yours is a solid state amp.

tubes.... different story........

Archived