Turntables

• 1 month later...

I started to say something to you a long time ago and decided not-to because I can't answer your question. I can't possibly recommend a turntable that will be substantially better than an SL-10 without suggesting something like an Oracle.

Did yours die or something, or are you just tired of looking at it?

The MC cartridge can be re-tipped if you're just worried about stylus wear.

I hope someone will tell us how many thousands we can spend to do better than the built-in preamp and excellent cartridge in an SL-10.

Bret

The excellent cartridge it came with died a cruel death many years ago at the hands of an EX girlfriend and at the time, I didn't have the funds to replace it with anything remotely close to the same quality. What is there now isn't horrible by any means, it is an MC cartridge and doesn't do bad. I've done some extensive searching and have yet to locate a single P mount MC cartridge.

Unfortunately, the table sometimes has a mind of its own due to to many power surges in its long life and will stop for no reason from time to time.

You didn't mention a price range or what you have for a system but I can recommend the Music Hall mmf-5.I like vintage TT's also but for every day playing I prefer a new table.

I've listened to the Music Hall line and was dissapointed in their performance. To my ears, they sounded "dead" or just lacking dymanics. I've also listened to Rega, one used Sota and one Roksan. Unfortunately, each turntable had a different cartridge making it realistically impossible to compare the turntable sound against each other.

Archived