Pete B, your expertise on TS optimized design versus acoustic suspension

Pete B, I've noticed that many drivers advertised in catalogues are suitable for installation in either TS optimized vented enclosures or acoustic suspension. I've also noticed that generally the TS installation requires a larger box but F3 is significantly lower. Given your expertise, what are the relative advantages and disadvantages of each. Will the TS design give as smooth a FR as the acoustic suspension design and is damping controlled with stuffing in the same way? Is the H,W,D dimensions of the enclosure critical in the TS configuration. It doesn't seem to be in the Acoustic suspension design. What are the telltale signs to determine whether a driver is suitable for one or the other. I've noticed that for some acoustic suspension only drivers like the NHT 1259, VAS is enormous running well over 100 while in the dual use drivers, VAS is often in the 5 to 10 range. In the TS only drivers, the VAS is often under 5. Is this the critical parameter?

There is no doubt that you've confused units here - a large driver with a Vas of 5 or 10 is going to be in cubic feet. A Vas of 100 is obvioulsy liters. You disagree with many things I say, believe me the 1259 is amazing in a vented system at least ones that I design. I've done two vented 1259s so far - amazing. It would take a lot of explaining to answer your question but as you say there's no point in getting into a back and forth as we have in other threads so I'll pass at this point.

Archived