Any info on Infinity 4000As?

Hi,

Visited my favorite thrift shop. Seems they end up with all these old speakers. Well this time I found a pair of Infinity 4000As.

They are floor speakers about 2 1/2 ft tall and weigh about 30-40 lbs. They have a tweeter, a mid and a big woofer (looks to be a 12).

I haven't had a chance to clean them up and try them but they are old wood vener cabints that need some love. The tweeters and mids look ok and the woofers were replaced by JBL (looks to be subwoofer drivers). So who knows how they will sound.

Has anyone ever heard of this model? Know if they are any good? They look to be mid 1970s vintage.

One more question. This site seems to do mostly New England speakers like Advents, EPI, AR, etc. Well I've seen Infinity posted here but the address on the back said California. Any history on them?

Guest rickcee

Hi looked in 2 old stereo review 'equip. buying guides - '78 and '88 - the listed Infinitys were called quantum in 78 and Kappa and sm and RS in '88 (RS listed in mag - RS 6000, 5000, 3000 - the rs 5000 was 3 way 10 " , 4 '"cone , electro ribbon tweeter - 24 ' x 15 " oak vinyl.) That's all I could find. In general they got pretty good reviews, with bright 'west coast ' sound - no personal experience. I think the web master decided to limit the sites focus. no idea if it was a tech. decision or just his interest . . .

Thanks for looking.

I think these are earler 70's. They have the same look and feel of the Column IIs (that I got at the same thrift store). Someone told me that the Col IIs were from 1976.

Archived