Dynaco A25 mods

Has any one have done a mod on the a25's? What drivers did you choose and did you do any mod to the crossover network? I have a pair that the day after buying a new amp ( Bryston 3B ) POOF! there went the low frequency drivers!:-(

• 2 weeks later...

These are still popular enough that there are new replacment woofers available, $59 each. These are from the same manufacturer as the originals, and still have cast frames and rubber surrounds. These woofers have some very unique characteristics, so the OE type woofer is by far the best replacement. For tweeter upgrades, the best is the Dynaudio D28. not cheap and they do require some cabinet modifications to fit, but well worth it. Second choice is a similar model from Morel. It is basically a close of the Dynaudio piece, but at a much lower price and it fits without cutting. The OEM crossover....not much there. you can replace it with a simple 6/6 dB crossover if using the Dynaudio tweeter, or 6/12dB for the Morel, using decent quality parts obviously.

• 1 year later...
Guest rickcee

Hi about 6 months ago I got a CD of test tones (stryke's )

and casual testing of my Dyna 25 's got a lot of what I would call hiss or buzz at low frequ. (say 40 - 60 hz. ) I just did some work putting new rubber gaskets under the speakers, (both bass and tweeter ) with the old screw holes tightened with glue and thin slices of oak - seemed to make big improvement - there is now a clear low freq. 'throb ' on test tone # 19 on the strykes CD - 32 hz. ! ! still a little hiss, probably from the port, but still - good 32 hz response, from 30 year old speakers. check your old speakers for integrity of screw mountings and espec. the foam seal between speaker and the front panel. Not quite the equal of my '78 koss 1020 or fairly new AR 302, - they are both clearer, less of what I call hiss at low freq. - 30 - 50 hz, but the little Dynas are STILL amazing ! ! Anyway happy holidays Rick P.S. I che cked the value of crossover capaciter - 5 uf . ? I was expecting a value of about 8 uf for the 1500 hz crossover - a simple one capacitor only design. seems to work excel. still. would upgrade to new high qual. capac. do anything - same 5uf - ? ?

Archived