Cizek Model 1's Best Tube Speakers?

Guest Got Tubes

Guest Got Tubes

My 2 cents,

I just ended up with an early set of Model 1’s that cost a whole $6.00 at a local garage sale. I took a glance at them and having never read anything or known anyone who owned a set I passed them by at first. My first impression was how heavy they were and the owner claimed they sat in the same spot since new in the 70’s so they were MINT-needing foam. Having had the audio disease since the 70’s I own allot of speakers looking for the one set that will fulfill my quest. When I saw they would handle 150 watts my guess was that the sensitivity would be very low too low for tube amps. I got half way home thinking that all I need is another set of speakers that I will do the work on only to find out they suck, so I turned around and bought them. I pulled out the woofer and noticed they were obviously hand made from the unfinished welds holding the huge magnet to the basket. Now I gotta hear them. Turns out the best foam fit are for the AR5. I hooked them to a pair of 6L6 monoblocks a nice Shiraz and put them through the paces. My first impression a little too much bass but incredibly tight. The highs are very precise with no breakup at all. Callis left me feeling there was a little center missing but that impression soon disappeared with Bach and Brahms violin concertos and a set of 12 inch stands taking them off of the floor. Next Pink Floyds Wish you were here on vinyl then David Bowie Ziggy. The word I would choose to describe them is Amazing. I listened to them for 4 hours straight finding it hard to stop. Also the sensitivity is not annotated on the speaker instructions but I will say that a set of 40 watt tube amps will shake your house. Last night I moved my Infinity RS6b’s and my Paradynes to the closet and these Cizeks have moved to a place of honor in my listening room and do not expect anything soon to bump them. These may be the best tube speakers I have ever had the pleasure to listen to and I think I have listened to every brand out there under $10k. Tonight a set of 7408 Stomberg amps and Vivaldis 4 seasons can wait.

Mike Iowa

Dear Mike,

I completely agree with your observations: I also listen a pair of Cizek one with a tube amp of 25+25 W RMS and I have to confirm they are just amazing. In order to compare these old (but gold) speakers with something new, I recently bought a pair of Thiel CS 1.6 that seemed to me one of the few speakers comparable with the great sound of Cizek. OK the sound is different and both The Thiel and the Cizek have a great sound, but if compared and listened with the same amplifier (I have a NAD 3130 too) The Cizek don't seem to be much inferior to the new Thiel; perhaps the Thiel are just a bit more realistic in image and scene and have more bass. Moreover the Sensibility of CIZEK one is 88,9 db (89 db), 1 db less than Thiel (90 db). I usually use the Cizek with Rock, while prefer Thiel with jazz and classic, but it's not always so.

Great Listening with the fabulous one!

All The Best

Paolo Lippe

• 4 years later...

Mike:

I have to agree with your assessment. I was also as lucky as you were as I found my Model Ones for $5.00 at an Estate Sale. I was then interested only in salvaging the tweeters for use in my vintage Polks as I was unaware of the sonic qualities of Cizek. Initially I walked away from the Cizeks as my space (studio apartment) left little room for another pair of speakers. I went home and googled them and on reading the reviews, I went straight back to the sale and picked them up. Refoamed them and now they are my most listened to speakers.

I use mine with a Fisher 400 tube receiver which is supposed to be rated at 25 wpc rms. The Fisher has no problem pushing the Cizeks, which reproduce a wonderful sound. I plan on using them next with my 100 wpc Cayin A-100T tube amp, but that amp is in Tampa and the Cizeks are in NYC. I am really eager to audition the Cizeks with the Cayin.

You have in your possession one of the most amazing pair of vintage speakers ever. Cherish them and enjoy them.

Cheers

Archived