EPI M 50

Guest fiddlefye

Guest fiddlefye

This is a quick note to the chap who was wondering about M50 speakers (can't seem to get back to that thread). I bought a set as a student back in the 70s and still have them (lots of others as well, but...). They were and are very impressive speakers for their size with a really solid sound. Back then I powered them with a 25 watt Yamaha CA 410 amp and they made enough sound to be able to "walk" off the bookshelf from time to time! Taste in speakers is really subjective, but I definitely preferred them to the rather larger Dynas I had immediately before them (which were stolen). If you get a set I'd be curious what you think of them...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not the person from the other thread, but I do have a pair of M-50's. It'a really a very good speaker using the same principle that Henry kloss used with the smaller Advent...see my post from Oct. 21st 'Kloss on Advent' in the Advent forum.

Also, I live 1/2 a mile from what used to be the EPI factory, Charles St. in Newburyport...a neat old steam mill which had been converted right on the mouth of the Merrimac river. It's a shame all those great New England speaker makers are gone!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest fiddlefye

Hi Andy,

I never did find my way back to that other thread, but I was glad of your response. It is indeed sad that all of those shops have closed up, there were some very good and creative things came out of them. As to the M 50s, I've several pairs of EPIs of varying sizes and I've always felt that in many ways the M 50s were the best. They image like crazy and have a lovely tonal balance I've never tired of, even after 30 years. Maybe they don't sound like there is a sub-woofer involved, but they give a good impression from bottom to top nonetheless and have an easy and natural way about them. Yes, I have "better" speakers (Yamaha NS 1000 in my main system), but the M50 has stood the test of time for me and they really are "bookshelf" speakers and work adequately placed there. They make music sound good and that is what it all about, right?

Good to hear your thoughts,

Bruce

>I'm not the person from the other thread, but I do have a

>pair of M-50's. It'a really a very good speaker using the same

>principle that Henry kloss used with the smaller Advent...see

>my post from Oct. 21st 'Kloss on Advent' in the Advent forum.

>Also, I live 1/2 a mile from what used to be the EPI factory,

>Charles St. in Newburyport...a neat old steam mill which had

>been converted right on the mouth of the Merrimac river. It's

>a shame all those great New England speaker makers are gone!

Archived