New crossovers

Guest vanspeakerman

Guest vanspeakerman

Hi all, just joined this site, thought I'd offer what I've done so far with the EPI speakers I've come across so far. I found a pair of T/E 70 at the Salvation Army, the foam on the woofers was done so I picked up a pair of Altec 6" woofers and put them in as replacements. Sounded very good. Then I removed the crappy old crossovers that originally came with the speakers and in their place I installed some new 5 way gold plated binding posts mounted into a round, plastic mounts. Along with these I changed out the original 10uF cap for a new Solen Fast Cap of the same value.I also removed the thin cable inside the speakers and replaced that with 16ga speaker wire. Boy oh boy you should hear these speakers now! Fantastic! the highs are simply brilliant, really sparkling. I would highly recommend you do these mods to turn a pretty good pair of speakers into an awesome pair.

I also found a pair of EPI 100V at the Salvation Army. These also need the woofers re-foaming so I'm going to do this with some new surrounds off one of the many sellers available. They will also get the capacitor and wiring upgrades. To top it off I have some real walnut veneer coming to redo the cabinets. I want to strip off the crappy vinyl "real wood effect" coating and really make these things look pretty. I hope to post some before and after pics.

To mount the new crossover components for the EPI 100s I have some 1/4" ABS that will do the job.

Get in touch if you have any questions.

• 6 months later...

I personally would make very little changes to the EPI 100V's if they have all original components. Re-foam the original woofers and definitely retain those famous EPI inverted dome tweeters. Don't be fooled by the simplicity of the capacitor crossover used in the 100's .... one of the reasons that the original EPI speakers sounded so great was because all the components were matched and a simple crossover was all that was needed.

Giving the 100V cabinets new life with a wood veneer application would be great and new wiring / binding posts would be also be good but if drivers and/or cross-overs are changed, you are changing that EPI sound that so many people like.

On the other hand, the T/E's [which aren't the same as the old EPI's] could certainly benefit from component replacement.

Enjoy your 100's

Bob

Archived