Allison Sixes

JKent

Guest jpk_1

"The front grills look ok but had holes through them from the tweeter posts. The holes have been patched with Plas-T-Pair and are not too noticeable, especially from the listening position."

Hi JKent,

Which Plas-T-Pair did you use? The liquid or the one you mix?

Could holes be drilled in it after repairs?

Would that stuff work well for gluing cracks? Or would I be better off using a plastic cement?

Thanks,

Joe

Hi Joe

I used the Plas-T-Pair that you mix, although the solvent alone could be used as a glue. I mixed it with "coloring agent" sold in marine/auto repair stores. Yes--you "could" drill it. I had planned to do so, but it would require making some sort of template and using a drill press. The cured patch is just like the original molded plastic. A great product IMHO. I learned about Plas T Pair from a video on repairing transistor radios. It is sold by childhoodradio on ebay.

btw--those speakers sold in about an hour with the BIN. I cannot figure out the prices of Allison speakers. Some seem to get too little, some too much.

Guest jpk_1

Hi JKent,

Thanks for the info, I'll have to try Plas-T-Pair. Can you give me any more info on the "coloring agent"? Brand name, etc?

Ebay can be a funny thing, for years I've seen differant items sell, than a week later go for half or double the previous sales price?

I think you did well with the sixes :-) Also, I think people tend to spend more with income tax returns in hand?

Thanks,

Joe

It's called Evercoat and is intended for coloring fiberglass. It should be available at marine supply and, I would think, auto body supply stores. Here is a link

http://www.boatersworld.com/product/376800322msk.htm

use just a drop or so. I learned about the technique on a DVD from:

http://stores.ebay.com/ChildhoodRadio

the DVD is about restoring vintage transistor portable radios, but there are lots of tips that I found useful for fixing up other vintage electronics, and there is a good basic electronics tutorial. Just make sure your DVD player will play DVD-recordables.

Archived