AL 120's with one mid-range blown

Guest wjhonson

Guest wjhonson

I just got a pair of these AL 120's and the guy told me up-front that one mid-range was blown.

I checked the allisonacoustics.com site and they show the tweeter and woofer but not the midrange for the 120's ? I'm assuming that the midrange they are showing won't work, since they don't specifically list the 120.

So.... do 120's come up on Ebay at all? I mean do I hang out for year waiting to cannibalize another pair or does anyone have any useful suggestions.

Thanks.

Guest Baffle

>I just got a pair of these AL 120's and the guy told me

>up-front that one mid-range was blown.

Hi Will,

First off, If they are indeed AL 120's then you have 2 6" woofers with one in backwards (push pull configuration) and one tweeter per system. The mid frequencies are handled by the 6" drivers. There is no midrange driver, as in a 3 way system like the AL 130.

>

>I checked the allisonacoustics.com site and they show the

>tweeter and woofer but not the midrange for the 120's ? I'm

>assuming that the midrange they are showing won't work, since

>they don't specifically list the 120.

You will see a listing for the 6"woofer used in the AL 120.(again 2).

Here is the good news. The woofers can be repaired and or refoamed. Here is one good link: http://www.simplyspeakers.com

Another is http://www.millersound.net

Allison Acoustics is dead at the moment as you probably know already.

This is an easier fix than if you had to replace a tweeter or a midrange.

>

>So.... do 120's come up on Ebay at all? I mean do I hang out

>for year waiting to cannibalize another pair or does anyone

>have any useful suggestions.

Better off to have yours fixed rather than replaced in my opinion.

Good luck,

Regards,

Bill

>

>Thanks.

Guest wjhonson

Well guess what Bill? You're absolutely right.

I did see that the bottom speaker is in backwards, it just never occurred to me to check that actually the bottom *two* speakers are exactly the same size.

So you're right. They're both the 6".

Now for the bad news. The guy was wrong, the middle speaker is just fine. It's one of the top speakers, the tweeters that produced no sound at all. I pulled one off one side and attached it to the other side, just to see if maybe it was the *wires* that were not working, but it doesn't produce any sound in either cabinet. While the good tweeter works in either cabinet.

So now what I really need is another tweeter :)

Guest Baffle

>

>Now for the bad news. The guy was wrong, the middle speaker

>is just fine. It's one of the top speakers, the tweeters that

>produced no sound at all. I pulled one off one side and

>attached it to the other side, just to see if maybe it was the

>*wires* that were not working, but it doesn't produce any

>sound in either cabinet. While the good tweeter works in

>either cabinet.

>

>So now what I really need is another tweeter :)

Hi Will,

Sorry to hear it's a tweeter. That's a tough find these days.

If you talk to Bill Legall at Millersound (one of the links I gave you in the previous post) he might look at the tweeter if you pay shipping both ways and he will give you 10% odds on fixing it.

Otherwise, keep an eye on Ebay for a 2 way tweeter. The 120 tweeter is also used in the AL 115.

To cover myself for parts I purchased a pair of AL 115's a year or two ago. That was to keep my home theater setup using Allison systems going. All my surround speakers and center channel use the same tweeter you have but my woofers on those sytems are 8" rather than 6".

Regards,

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Yes--watch ebay. These come up from time to time. You want a 2-way tweeter that is from any of the following Allison models: AL110; AL 115; AL120; A4; A5; A6; A7; CD6; CD7; PB 8.2; PB 66.2 (this is from the Allison website you checked).

Be aware though, that there was apparently an evolution in those tweets. My A4s have tweets with delicate leads attached to brass binding posts, and exposed dustcovers that get crushed easily. Other tweets had lugs instead of leads, and others had lugs and heavy metal mesh over the tweet (there is a pair like this on ebay now). Another possibility is to replace the pair. I bought a pair of Audax tweeters from Madisound to use in an A4, but later found the "correct" parts. I bought the 4-ohm Audax Model TW025A2, the 8-ohm is TWO25A0. Purisists would probably not approve of the replacement, but these are good--they were used in the legendary Spica T50. And they were only about $22 ea. :-)

Finally, I just sent off some dead tweeters today to Human speakers. Huw is going to check them out to see if he can either repair Allison tweets or manufacture suitable replacements. Stay tuned.....

Guest Baffle

I just sent off some dead tweeters today to Human

>speakers. Huw is going to check them out to see if he can

>either repair Allison tweets or manufacture suitable

>replacements.

Looking forward to hearing the outcome on this.

Bill

• 1 year later...
I just got a pair of these AL 120's and the guy told me up-front that one mid-range was blown.

I checked the allisonacoustics.com site and they show the tweeter and woofer but not the midrange for the 120's ? I'm assuming that the midrange they are showing won't work, since they don't specifically list the 120.

So.... do 120's come up on Ebay at all? I mean do I hang out for year waiting to cannibalize another pair or does anyone have any useful suggestions.

Thanks.

AL 120s do not have a midrange speaker they have a tweeter and two woofers inversely mounted. It considered a 2.5 way speaker as the crossover points allow one woofer to act as a mid/woofer. Thee is a brochure explaining this on this website.

So you may want a 6 inch woofer not an allison midrange speaker.

good luck,

Brian