Allison:Four rebuilding tips?

JKent

I just bought a single Four on ebay to go with the pair I have. It is pretty beat up looking in the pictures (has not arrived yet). I can handle the woodwork, and should be able to refoam the woofer, having recently rebuilt some really decrepit AR2ax's. I'm guessing the Fours are fairly similar to the AR design, but are there any instructions on fixing these? Assuming there are caps inside, I'll put in new. The seller wrote this about the tweeter: "one works with the wire reconnected, but has a damage to its paper covereing in the very center. The other one I have not managed to rewire yet, but its paper covering is good. I believe reconnecting the ends might be the only problem it has." Anyone familiar with the makeup of these tweets? Maybe I should wait until it arrives and actually LOOK at it ;-) but thought I'd get some advance tips here.

Thanks!

Kent

Follow-up question:

Anyone know where to get a tweeter for the Four? Looks like one is toast, and the Allison website is defunct.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest aladinsan

There are excelent replacement options still available. You will not be disappointed with the Morel's. I am unaware of any stock of the 4010203's still available.

Good Luck!

Note: The Morel MDT33, along with the Accuton C223/6, Hiquphon OW I/II/III, Human 002, Scan-Speak R2904/7000, and the Alison Acoustics 4010203 (available only as a replacement part for Allison loudspeakers) are considered by many to be the ultimate electrodynamic tweeters.

Archived