Allison One Woofers Need "Re-Foaming"

Guest paulc

Guest paulc

I have a pair of Ones from 30+ years ago; slowly all 4 woofers have lost the foam surrounds holding the speaker cones. I see there are suggestions about doing a home repair job, but I'm kinda all thumbs. Is there a good place that I can send the speakers to have them "re-foamed?"

Of course, it wojuld be totally fantastic if I could do it locally (NYC)... anyone with any ideas?

• 4 weeks later...

Paul Constantine's Allison One 10¡± woofers restored by me, I do limited restoration works on Acoustic Research, Cello and Allison speakers for Collectors who live around New York City area. Paul is quite happy when he received his 4 restored Allison One woofers and took these pictures and emailed me for before and after comparison.

Minh Luong

mluong303@aol.com

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/dc/user_files/1283.jpg

post-101112-1146882035.jpg

Guest paulc

I have no idea... I'd guess it's a combination of liquids; the issue is to be the sticky butyl latex (that I call brutal latex) Allison used to coat the mid and low driver cones. My guess is that a solvent for the substance might also harm the paper cones. I suspect there's some "proprietary" knowledge that guys who do re-foaming for a living (like Minh) want to keep close to the vest.

BTW, I found Minh to concentrate much more on the craft of doing it right than promoting himself. I had had the before picture, but the work turned out so beautiful, I shot an after so he might use it!

>Nice job on the refoam. I did mine and they turned out well

>also. What did you use to remove the dust from the cone? I

>didn't know what to use for the dust removal. Thanks for any

>advice.

Hi there;

Maybe just, distilled water from a drug store, without any other additives, on a lint free cloth.

I would wait to see if Minh responds and approves this method first.

Good luck.

Paul would like to clean the dust himself before deliver 4 Allison woofers to me to do the re-foam job but I told him to do nothing and just let me take care of the problem. If the paper cones and butyl latex coating allow, I will clean them up without being asked and I did keep my promise to help him out. He did asked me the same question at the end what did I do to get all 4 woofers look like new again? I told him if he is happy with the result and have other jobs need to be done, just send me an email.

Minh Luong

Archived