Curious?

Guest paulc

Was having a problem with my Allison Ones and did some searching... and found this forum. Seems most of the stuff is a year old... did Allison make it back? Are they up and functioning? I tried looking to see who was selling on the web and found nada.

>Was having a problem with my Allison Ones and did some

>searching... and found this forum. Seems most of the stuff is

>a year old... did Allison make it back? Are they up and

>functioning? I tried looking to see who was selling on the web

>and found nada.

Hi Paul,

Try http://www.allisonacoustics.com/ .. I have heard they are not only in business and offering replacement parts for the classics, but that Roy Allison himself was involved in making sure the replacement parts were acceptable.

Mark

Should have said... yes I found their site before I found you guys (funny, I not only have Allison Ones, but a pair of AR-9s as well). It just seemed that everything there kinda of froze before CES 2002. I have seen the same thing where a web site gets "frozen in time" because there's nobody left. I had sent them an e-mail... if I hear back I'll know they are functioning!

I also found an outfit called Layne Audio that seems can actually repair my blown speakers... anyone have any experience with them? There site also looks like it hasn't been touched since CES 2002...

I haven't heard from Stephen at Layne Audio for a very long time. I hope everything is ok with Stephen and his business. Anyone else been in touch with Layne Audio lately? In the past they were always extremely busy, but the work was very high quality.

Regarding Allison .. there's an Allison mailing list and there have been posts lately regarding parts purchased from the current company. There should be a link on this website to that mailing list.

Mark

Thanks Mark; yes Allison responded to my e-mail inquiry about a replacement speaker. Here is the text of their email:

Thank you for your inquiry!

Yes, you can order the woofer (Part# 1100503) directly through us. The price is $128.00 each. As far as the other woofer goes, if it has not started to degrade, performance should be fine with the new woofer in place. You will not do any damage replacing the woofer yourself.

The only parts we have available for the older model Allison One speaker are the drivers (tweeters, midranges and woofers."

Ah, the importance of keeping a web site looking current !

Obviously, I'd rather get it repaired than replaced. As I said, it seems to only be the "surrounds" that are damaged, the conbe and center are sticky and do have some dust stuck to them, but seem otheerwise in good shape.

Any idea other than Layne Audio for such repairs?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest capeman228

I used SimplySpeakers and was very satisfied; all four of the woofers on my Ones needed refoaming.

ALso bought a tweeter from the new Allison Acoustics...sounds fine to me.

Archived