Avent 4002's/Large "Double Advents"

Guest classic carl

Guest classic carl

I've had 2 pairs of stacked Large Advents as my primary speaker system since I bought all 4 of them in 1976 for $400. They were 2 weeks old and the guy who sold them to me didn't like them. He replaced them with a pair of Dahlquists. His loss. They have been my front speakers since I bought a Yamaha RXV-800 home theater receiver in late 2000 (I'm using Polks that I bought at the same time to complete the home theater set up). The Advents are the original walnut cabs and are still in mint condition. The surrounds were replaced about the time I went to 5.1 and they still sound and look great.

Recently, I bought a new Music Hall MMF5.1 turntable, had my old Dual 1249 serviced and had an old Pioneer SA-9100 integrated amp brought back to life. When I was picking up my Dual, I noticed a pair of Advents on the shelf in mint condition. I listened to a track from the new Rush album, "Snakes and Arrows" thru the Advents and took them home for $100 a pair. I've since discovered that these are Advent 4002's. I'm using them as my fronts on the 5.1 system and have hooked the Double Advents to the Pioneer with both Turntables and an SAE 2800 parametric EQ, so my analog system is now separate from my digital system.

All I know about the 4002's is that they were built by Jensen after aquiring Advent, but before they were sold to Recoton. They sound great and are just slightly smaller with a darker grill cloth than the original Advents. I don't know when they were built but are 4 ohm, instead of 8 ohm like the original Advents. They look pretty cool stacked on top of the Double Advents. Does anyone know more about these 4002's?

• 1 month later...
Guest classic carl

The Advent 4002's are 8 ohms, not 4 ohms as previously stated. I recently bought a pair of Advent/1's and have "Doubled" them up in parallel with the 4002's as the fronts on my 5.1 system. I have them wired separately from the amp because the amp has twin front speaker outputs and an A - B switch so I can use them seperately, together, or not at all. Both pair sound good by themselves, but they sound much better together. I have 2 pairs of Large Advents hooked up to my 2 channel amp, stacked vertically and the 4002's and 1's stacked horizontally on top of them. One of these days I'd like to try to sync a CD and a vinyl copy of the same recording and listen to what both systems sound like simultaneously. Has anybody ever done this?

Archived