New New Large Advent owner - xover upgrade, amp questions

Guest fazeka

Guest classic carl

Thanks for the heads up. I'm familiar with Marcus Miller but had never heard of Dean Peer. I just Googled him and am listening right now. They only MM I have is him playing with David Sanborn. I've seen video of Marcus jamming with 22 year old prodigy Tal Wilkenfeld. She can really play for someone who picked up the bass 4 years ago. She has already toured with Jeff Beck and also Chick Corea...and she's smokin' hot. Her only CD is called Transformation. My son is pretty good on the bass too, but he's yet to be discovered. :) I like Dean. I may have to buy one of his CD's too.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm familiar with Marcus Miller but had never heard of Dean Peer. I just Googled him and am listening right now. They only MM I have is him playing with David Sanborn. I've seen video of Marcus jamming with 22 year old prodigy Tal Wilkenfeld. She can really play for someone who picked up the bass 4 years ago. She has already toured with Jeff Beck and also Chick Corea...and she's smokin' hot. Her only CD is called Transformation. My son is pretty good on the bass too, but he's yet to be discovered. B) I like Dean. I may have to buy one of his CD's too.

Hi there;

I just wanted to comment on Dean Peer.

A few years ago I wrote my commentary about a Stereophole test disc, disc 2 or 3, which included a Dean Peer sampler.

My not being a musician, I can only write my opinion based on the sampler.

Lord Tundra was the title, I believe.

He uses a special guitar tuning method and it sounds super fantastic.

I went out and bought one, if not two of his disc recordings.

I posted my dB list of cd's here that I owned at that time.

The Stereophile series of test discs are well recorded and enjoyable and include sampler music.

Not necessarily cheap or readily available in stores.

Hi there;

I just wanted to comment on Dean Peer.

A few years ago I wrote my commentary about a Stereophole test disc, disc 2 or 3, which included a Dean Peer sampler.

My not being a musician, I can only write my opinion based on the sampler.

Lord Tundra was the title, I believe.

He uses a special guitar tuning method and it sounds super fantastic.

I went out and bought one, if not two of his disc recordings.

I posted my dB list of cd's here that I owned at that time.

The Stereophile series of test discs are well recorded and enjoyable and include sampler music.

Not necessarily cheap or readily available in stores.

Lord's Tundra is where I first hear of Dean Peer. It's a wonderful, audiophile recording of a electric bass virtuoso at his solo best. Also heard it played in the demo room of Madrigal Audio Laboratories when they were located here in CT during a factory tour many years ago. They had a giant pair of Wilson Audio speakers and their top of the line solid state electronics driving them. The whole system must have run about 200 grand. Sounded pretty good to say the least.

I also went out and bought Peer's CD called "Travelogue". Very good as well.

Guest speaker freak
Hi Vern,

Ah, I didn't realize that the tweeter can't have an external inline fuseholder without altering the cabinets. It would have to be inside the cabinet (duh!), which would be a pain to get to if one needed to replace a blown fuse as it would mean having to remove one of the drivers! Not very convenient...

So I see your point. I guess everyone pretty much does the fusing at the system level (i.e., woof/tweet), right? If so, I think I will take that approach; I don't want to drill on my Advents.

I still would opt for the inline fuseholder rather than an open fuseholder in this case for obvious reasons.

Oh, BTW, that 317 was a tuner. I should have known. But maybe it was for the better (an AU-317 only has 50 watts; I don't want to risk blowing due to underpowering). I guess I will shoot for something like 75-100 watts. Maybe an AU-517 or AU-717 or a G-series or even an 8080? Can you tell I am partial to Sansui. =) Phase Linears sound nice, but I don't have that kind of bread...

One thing you must remember is thats when the advents came out back in the early 70s alot of the receivers and amps were in the 35-50 watt range. i really doubt that you can underpower them unless you have them hooked up to a table radio. I am running mine with a 50 watt audio source power amp with no problem at all. I really wouldn't worry about it just enjoy them.

One thing you must remember is thats when the advents came out back in the early 70s alot of the receivers and amps were in the 35-50 watt range. i really doubt that you can underpower them unless you have them hooked up to a table radio. I am running mine with a 50 watt audio source power amp with no problem at all. I really wouldn't worry about it just enjoy them.
In 1980 when I bought my first Advents they were powered by a 35 wpc Harman Kardon receiver. I agree that with such power Advents can be satisfying. When I upgraded to a Realistic STA-2380 with 100 wpc I could tell the difference in the sound. Now that I am driving stacked double New Large Advents with 200 watts per speaker I feel I have reached the pinnacle. B) At a listening level of 85 dB the needles on the VU meters of my Phase Linear amps hardly move.

I forgot to mention that my first experience with Advents was in 1975 when I went with a friend to buy his first decent stereo. He ended up with the original Large Advent loudspeakers, a Sony 30 wpc receiver that was rated at .003% THD at rated RMS power, and could actually handle a 2 ohm load without a hitch, and an AR XA turntable. That was an amazing system.

Guest speaker freak
I forgot to mention that my first experience with Advents was in 1975 when I went with a friend to buy his first decent stereo. He ended up with the original Large Advent loudspeakers, a Sony 30 wpc receiver that was rated at .003% THD at rated RMS power, and could actually handle a 2 ohm load without a hitch, and an AR XA turntable. That was an amazing system.

Yea back then they took pride in what they made. Compared to some of the stuff they make now ie home theather receivers.I remember those day well i had a marantz 2230 klh 17s wish i still had them but anyways it's nice that we can still enjoy the sound of this equipment. Carver hr 752, audio source amp 100 large advents, nad 512

Archived