AR3/3a drivers

Hello:

I purchased a pair of AR3 speakes in the hope of upgrading them to AR3a. I already have the AR3a mids and was going to use a more modern tweeter. The drivers in the AR3 looked different to me. They used a silver braided connector instead of the thin copper wire used on my 3a mids and my 2ax tweeters. I have removed the drivers and they all say "service replacement" on a red sticker on the back of the drivers. The tweeters have what looks like a grey paper dome, not at all like the smooth brown dome on my AR2ax tweeters. The dome is also quite a bit smaller than the 2ax dome.

I am hoping that someone will know about these drivers.

Are these the replacement divers that would have been used in both the 3 and the 3a? Will they perform better than the older 3a drivers I have? I would not like to be putting in drivers and then removing them because the replacment drivers were superior. How about the small grey replacement tweeter, is it equal to the moderen tweeters?

All of the drivers work, I did test the speakers before taking them apart. I am going to update the crossover anyway, so I would have had to disassemble them anyway. I am just looking for some guideance in which drivers will produce the best sound. I would like to reassemble them only once.

Thanks,

Michael

• 1 month later...

The replacement tweeter you are describing does not sound like an AR-3/AR-3a replacement to me. I've seen a few replacement drivers and they all are for the most part identical. Even if you purchase a replacement driver today, the only obvious changes will be wiring points (when compared to AR-3), materials, and possibly dome grill color. The dimensions of the dome itself should not be different. Does it say AR anywhere on the face? Pull it out and look at the back ..

Someone was asking earlier and I lost the thread .. but the replacement tweeters I used in my AR-3/AR-3a upgrade were Vifa D27TG-45-06.

Mark

• 1 month later...

I am looking to replace my AR-3a tweeters. However, the VIFA part number you used seems to no longer be available. VIFA's and Parts Express websites list a D27TG-35-06, but no D27TG-45-06. Do you know if the "35" would work as well? Thanks for help.

Archived