Large Advent woofers

Guest nolanpk

Guest nolanpk

Hello esteemed group,

I value the depth of knowledge and information available here. I have a question about the Large Advent Loudspeaker. Do some have a bona-fide 12" woofer? I have four that were purchased in 1973, and they have the 10" woofer with the masonite ring. I have seen pictures of Large Advents on ebay that have what appears to be a 12" woofer. Is this a later variant? If so, has anyone compared these two different speakers? If so, what are your opinions? That's three questions, to be exact. Thanks in advance for your responses.

Pat

If the rest of the speaker is really the original

Large Advent, the woofers have been replaced. They were always manufactured with the same woofer (well, some of the real late ones may have been manufactured with the all-metal woofer of the "New Advent" but the shape of the frame outline and the cone are the same).

If the seller doesn't mention the replacement, he is either ignorant about Advents or is hoping the buyer is.

I have also seen the seller call the woofers 12" but if there are images, you can easily spot whether they are correct or not.

I guess that makes your question about opinions between 10" and 12" versions irrelevant in this case huh? :^)

Doug

Archived