All Advent questions answered

Guest gkentsmith

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello and thank you for reading. I have a pair of large advents, I believe they are from around 1975 - 1977 the tweeter is orange with a mesh grill and a square metal mounting plate, the woofer is mounted near center of the encloser, surrounds look good no holes or tears, i noticed if i wire them with the positive on the 0 connector and the negative on the 8 ohm connector they seem warmer and a little more bass, but the highs roll off a little too soon, but if i wire them the other way they seem a bit harsh and lose quite a bit of the warmth and bass. can you tell me which is the proper way to wire them?? when flipping the switch on back, out of the normal position i seem to lose a lot of the tweeter like its almost completely off and then switching to extended makes it even harsher. also there is a fuse mounted on the outside of the back of the speaker, but i havent seen that on other advent pics that i have looked at online. any advice on making them sound better? they dont crackle or buzz or anything and they can go pretty loud. thank you in advance.

• 3 months later...

Hello. I have a pair of "The Advent Loudspeaker" (this is how they're referred to on the cards that are stapled to their rear panels). Their Serial Numbers are A81555 and A94505. Does anyone know when these would have been manufactured? Also, does anyone have any good ideas for selling them other than listing them on eBay and craigslist? Many thanks in advance for any help that anyone may be able to offer here...

I am going to try and not be rude here but it is bad form to come onto an enthusiast site like this and ask advice on how to sell your speakers.

We want to hear from people wanting to save and use their speakers, not flippers.

As to when yours were made, probably 1973 or thereabouts.

Doug

I am going to try and not be rude here but it is bad form to come onto an enthusiast site like this and ask advice on how to sell your speakers.We want to hear from people wanting to save and use their speakers, not flippers.As to when yours were made, probably 1973 or thereabouts.Doug

I too will try not to be rude here but it is bad form to accuse someone of being a "flipper" when nothing could be further from the truth. I have owned these speakers since the day they were new. If your estimate (which I do appreciate) is accurate that means I've owned and used them for 38 years or thereabouts. Hardly a "flipper" by anyone's definition, I'd say. Unfortunately, I'm having to move into a much smaller home and won't have room for them in view of the other equipment I'll be taking with me. It occurred to me that since folks here are enthusiasts they might enjoy owning these speakers themselves or be able to guide me as I try to find them a good home at a fair price. So, as I mentioned earlier, if anyone knows of any resources other than eBay or craigslist for accomplishing this goal, I'd appreciate their letting me know. Again, many thanks in advance for any help that anyone may be able to offer here...

I too will try not to be rude here but it is bad form to accuse someone of being a "flipper" when nothing could be further from the truth. I have owned these speakers since the day they were new. If your estimate (which I do appreciate) is accurate that means I've owned and used them for 38 years or thereabouts. Hardly a "flipper" by anyone's definition, I'd say. Unfortunately, I'm having to move into a much smaller home and won't have room for them in view of the other equipment I'll be taking with me. It occurred to me that since folks here are enthusiasts they might enjoy owning these speakers themselves or be able to guide me as I try to find them a good home at a fair price. So, as I mentioned earlier, if anyone knows of any resources other than eBay or craigslist for accomplishing this goal, I'd appreciate their letting me know. Again, many thanks in advance for any help that anyone may be able to offer here...

List them in classified section of this forum.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I am new to this forum and have a situation where you man be able to shine some light. I dont know much about audio connections or equipment for that matter but have done some research on-line and hope you can help.

I recently purchased two Advent Baby Advent II Speakers. On the back is a red and black input holes. Next I purchased a Sherwood Record Player (PF1170R), the audio output line is red, white and a ground looks small horse shoe. The problem I am having is connecting the record play with the speakers. I dont know if i need to cut the red white wires and splice to the speakers or if it is a new plug-in i need. Any help would be appreciated. If you need photos please let me know. Thanks.

Hi, I am new to this forum and have a situation where you man be able to shine some light. I dont know much about audio connections or equipment for that matter but have done some research on-line and hope you can help.

I recently purchased two Advent Baby Advent II Speakers. On the back is a red and black input holes. Next I purchased a Sherwood Record Player (PF1170R), the audio output line is red, white and a ground looks small horse shoe. The problem I am having is connecting the record play with the speakers. I dont know if i need to cut the red white wires and splice to the speakers or if it is a new plug-in i need. Any help would be appreciated. If you need photos please let me know. Thanks.

I'm not familiar with your Sherwood record player but if it's just a record player/turntable you will need either a receiver (combination of radio and amplifier) or an integrated amplifier (combination of a pre amplifier and amplifier) with a phono input. The audio output of a record player needs to be amplified before it is strong enough to drive a speaker and produce sound. When you get a receiver/amplifier the red and white wires will go into the "phono" input. The places where the wires go are usually color coded red and white.

cwb1014, I certainly apologize for intimating that you are a flipper. I also have respect for anybody who has owned a pair of Advents since new as I, even though I heard them back then, never owned a pair until about 6 years ago.

Now I have 5 pair.

Although I don't really have any ideas about how to best sell your Advents, I wish you luck although I hope you reconsider and find some way to squeeze them in.

Doug

• 4 months later...

Kent, this may seem like a rather simple-minded question but here goes: I've been running my Large Advents on my Yamaha A-1020 for a couple years now. Have never noticed a problem but recently read an old Advent ad that says these speakers can handle amps rated up to 100 watts per channel. The A-1020 is rated at 125. Am I asking for trouble? Or am I good?

Not simple-minded at all (take it from one who asked asked MANY!) The biggest danger to speakers is caused by clipping: over-driving an under-powered amp. So the danger would be from using an amp that is too small. You can safely use even a 500 watt amp, assuming you're listening in your living room and not trying to fill Giants Stadium (or crank it up to 11*) ;)

CSP member Vern (Dynaco Dan) is a real advocate for fusing speakers and you can look into this. Most modern amps have speaker-protection circuits built in, but if you are concerned do a search here for fusing information. I've never used fuses and have not had a problem but YMMV.

Enjoy!

Kent

* Spinal Tap reference

• 1 month later...

Hi Kent - after unsuccessfully attempting to find a pair of Large Advent masonite style woofers via ebay and Craigslist for my Large Advents, I have a chance to possibly get a pair of Advent 1 speakers locally. From what I have been able to read on this forum, the Advent 1 woofers are the same as the New Large Advent bass drivers which are sonically the same as the original Large Advent woofers.

My question is - can I use the Advent 1 woofers to replace the original Large Advent woofers( still have the the original Large Advent tweeter) ? From the above, I am assuming so, but I do not know if the Advent 1 bass driver has the electrical characteristics to be compatible with the original Large Advent 1.6 mh inductor to maintain the proper low pass xover.

Thanks!

Dean

Hi Dean,

I'm not Kent but I think I can answer your inquiry.

You can use those woofers and they will be fine.

I'm curious as to why you are unable to find masonite woofers on eBay, however. I see them on there fairly often. The cheapest thing to do, of course, is get some that need refoaming and do it yourself. That way, you can be assured of getting the correct surrounds on them too.

If you can't wait (like me) and want woofers in them right away, I would get some all-metal ones (like in the New Advents or Advent/1s) and install them in your original Advents and then eventually acquire some masonites.

Then you would have a spare set of woofers which is always a good idea.

Doug

Doug - Thanks for the information. I assumed that this was the case but appreciate confirmation. As to why I have not been able to secure a pair of the original masonite woofers, just bad timing I suppose. I do not scan ebay on a real regular basis so some opportunities may have been missed and my luck on ebay has been somewhat on the negative side. I have bought a couple of advent woofers in the past only to find out that their condition was less than advertised. In both instances, the product I received was not what was advertised and repairs would have been significant ( blown coils , torn cones, just to name a couple of problems). I am also trying to avoid buying a set of complete speaker as I already have the tweeters and can easily build the appropriate size cabinet once I have the bass drivers. Shipping charges for two cabinets are usually very high and I have also had problems with receiving complete speakers in parts due to poor packing. While I would prefer the original masonite woofers, if the Advent 1 woofers are functional substitutes for the originals, then the cosmetic differences are minor to me.

Dean

I just purchased a pair of fully restored ar 3a,s and would like to sell my mfg in 1969 large advents,. they are in perfect condition, were refoamed by simply speakers two years ago. The grills still have the window screen in them but the tweeters have had the metal grill s glued on. they came from advent when they were available. the tweeters are still a nice bright shade of red as they have never been overheated. the tweeter switch still works like it should. In general they are still like new in the nice real walnut cabinets. what are they worth?

oh yes they have the pink fiberglass insulation in them and the masonite woofers. I am the only owner of them.

If a pair of Advents, particularaly early ones like that, are truly like new and the grille cloths, cabinets, and operation are flawless, they have gone for about $300.00 on eBay.

Anything less than what I described above ususally bring about $100.00.

Doug

Hello, I've got two three pretty basic questions, or so I think...

Luckily when my father upgraded his sound system in the early ninety's, he saved all four of his NLA's. But at a garage sale about 7 years ago, my father put them up for sale, no takers, phew, but he did sell a pair of the advent woofers that were in the currently unused pair of NLA's.

Are there any places that sell new woofer replacements? I know ebay has them used but he won't help pay for them if I get used ones. I saw some on Simply Speakers for $130 per woofer, and thought that seemed a bit high. What price should I look for for a new woofer? Used woofer?

My second question is for after when I get the other woofers so I can have stacked advents. Is there a specific way on how to hook up the wiring for stacked advents? Or does it depend on what type of reciever you have?

Also, I guess this makes it three questions, what is the wattage requirement/recommendation for the New Large Advents? Is a reciever that gives 50 watts a danger to the speaker(kind of like what was said ealier)?

Thanks for any help,

Tyson

1. This is less expensive: http://www.abtechser...ntspeakers.html

However, most who have tried other similar modern replacements have found

that the parameters are WAY off and that system performance suffers. I don't think

anyone has tried these particular Advent replacements and reported here, so perhaps

you'll get lucky. If you have an original pair for reference you can at least compare

them. Are you anywhere near Connecticut, I've been interested in measuring them.

2. The standard way to wire them is in parallel, + jumped to + and - jumped to -.

However, your amp needs to be able to drive a 4 ohm load and if your amp

can't drive even lower say down to 2.5 ohms only run them in the normal or

decrease tweeter position, not increase where the impedance dips very low.

There are some old amps that were safe below 4 ohms but there are very

few modern amps that are, many HT receivers are 6 ohms and up only.

You could go line out of your front end into 2 stereo power amps and drive

each "8 ohm" system pair from 1 amp.

3. 50 Watts is fine, but you do not want to overload the amp and push a lot

of distortion into the speakers that can damage them. 200-400 W is not

unreasonable for a stacked pair as long as you just use the extra power for

headroom and never clip them. Some run two 400W amps, one on each pair

for a total of 800W:

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?showtopic=6823&view=findpost&p=90423

If you ever crank your system up you will certainly get better sound with 100-200W.

Nice that you lucked out when your dad was unable to sell them - good story!

Here is my collection:

http://www.classicsp...?showtopic=5986

And I documented the crossovers on this page:

http://baselaudiolab...VENT_LA_XO.html

Thanks for the help and clarification. I don't live remotely close to connecticut, I live in California, what kind of measurements were you wanting, if I do end up buying them?

Yes my working pair have one original woofer, dated May 5, 1978, and one official replacement from back in the mid 80's, I believe, when my father had to replace it. Both have the square magnets.

Thanks for the help and clarification. I don't live remotely close to connecticut, I live in California, what kind of measurements were you wanting, if I do end up buying them?

Yes my working pair have one original woofer, dated May 5, 1978, and one official replacement from back in the mid 80's, I believe, when my father had to replace it. Both have the square magnets.

You'd want to measure the Thiele and Small parameters, both in

free air and in system:

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Thiele/Small

Which can be done manually with a function generator and meter,

or with a more automatic system such as the woofer tester:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=390-804

or free downloadable software:

Free demo Praxis

100% free Speaker Workshop - you should build a jig to go with it: http://www.audua.com/

Fairly certain 100% free ARTA will do it also: http://www.fesb.hr/~mateljan/arta/

ARTA is probably best.